Tagliatelle con fiori di zucchine (Tagliatelle with Zucchini Flowers)
Provided by: Taste Editors
Recipe courtesy of Made in Sicily by Giorgio Locatelli/Ecco an imprint of HarperCollins, 2012.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- A pinch of saffron threads (about 15)
- 3 to 4 baby zucchini
- 15 zucchini flowers
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound tagliatelle
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 3/4 ounces pecorino cheese (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, add the onion and cook gently until soft but not colored. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then put in the saffron. Take off the heat, cover with a lid and leave for 5 minutes to let the saffron infuse the stock.
- Cut the zucchini into thin strips. Clean and chop the zucchini flowers. Heat the rest of the oil in a large pan (big enough to take the pasta later) and sauté the strips and the chopped flowers until golden. Add the saffron stock and season to taste.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, add salt, then put in the pasta and cook for about a minute less than the time given on the package, so that it is al dente. Drain, reserving some tof the cooking water. Add to the pan of zucchini flowers and toss through, adding a little fo the reserved cooking water if necessary to loosen. Add the beaten egg yolks and toss again. Finish with the grated pecorino.