After the lot recently changed hands, city officials informed the trucks that they did not have the correct permits to operate on the site.
Miami New Times confirmed that the city was informed of the lack of permits by Brad Knoefler, president of the Omni Parkwest Redevelopment Association.
Knoefler told New Times, "I want to legitimize food trucks in Miami."
The Miami Food Truck web site responded by posting Knoefler's email address, anticipating their patrons' hungry frustration:
Unfortunately this Saturday Night’s Wynwood Street Food Fest has been canceled because “Brad Knoefler” of Grand Central Park Miami thought it was a “danger to the community”. You could also email him: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Second Saturday Art Walk began quietly in 2003 and finally escalated last October with the arrival of the food trucks.
"Now you have stilt walkers and flame throwers and food trucks where people buy racks of barbecue they bring to eat in the gallery," Janda Wetherington, director of Pan American Art Projects told Miami New Times. "It's turned into a total circus. It's chaos."
"The day after Second Saturday," Wetherington added, "the streets here look like a war zone because of all the litter."
After last month's art walk, local blog Artlurker posted a few photos of the food truck aftermath: dumpsters grossly overflowing with paper trays, bottles, and paper trash.
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more