The parents of a 19 year-old Navarro College volleyball player who died after a night of heavy drinking are suing her boyfriend and his Baylor University fraternity.
Megan Helal was found lifeless on March 21, 2010 on the floor of her boyfriend's apartment after they attended a Sigma Chi party at Mynar's Bar in West, Texas. Helal was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a Waco hospital.
In the lawsuit, Helal's parents claim negligence on the part of her boyfriend, the frat, bartenders and bar owners for serving the underage co-ed alcohol. KCEN reports a total of 10 people are named in the suit for reportedly playing a role in their daughter's death.
According to the suit, Helal was served between 10 and 17 vodka drinks in a two-hour span.
"Clearly the bar didn't monitor what was going on inside," Linda Turley, the family’s attorney, told a local Fox affiliate. "They didn't know who the liquor was being served to. They just kept track of how much they served. In addition, they allowed the fraternity to set up bottle service in a little room where the drinking was going on."
The lawsuit doesn't seek a specific amount in damages. Turley told KXXV they don't want another family to get the same call they did, letting them know their child was "clinging to life because they've been over served alcohol."
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more