iOS app Android app More

Robert Bales Deleted From Internet? Report Claims Military Scrubbed References To Accused Soldier

Posted: 03/22/2012 12:45 pm Updated: 03/22/2012 12:46 pm

Robert Bales Deleted Internet
In this Aug. 23, 2011, file photo Defense Video & Imagery Distribution System photo Sgt. Robert Bales takes part in exercises at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif. It is still not known if Bales, who allegedly massacred 16 Afghans was ever diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder _ but even if he had been that alone would not have prevented him from being sent back to war. (AP Photo/DVIDS, Spc. Ryan Hallock, file)

A report released Wednesday by McClatchy Newspapers claims that the United States military tried to remove references to Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the soldier accused of shooting 16 civilians in Afghanistan, from its websites.

"Protecting a military family has to be a priority," an anonymous official told McClatchy. "I think the feeding frenzy we saw after his name was released was evidence that we were right to try."

Despite the alleged efforts to wipe Bales information from the Internet, cached websites and images remained accessible, McClatchy reports, including published photos, a battle account and excerpts from his wife's private blog.

A senior military official identified Bales as the alleged shooter on Friday, March 16, five days after the incident, and the Army provided basic information about the soldier.

As details about Robert Bales, his life, and his family emerged, those who knew him grappled with understanding how Bales could allegedly massacre Afghan civilians. On Wednesday, Karilyn Bales issued a statement offering her condolences to the families of the victims.

The military claims it knew the online information about Bales would continue to be available, but a second anonymous official confirmed to McClatchy that a delay in releasing Bales' name stemmed from first wanting to remove his Army service history from the Internet.

The publisher also proposes that the military may have tried to scrub the Web in anticipation of a military trial. Bales is currently being held in Fort Leavenworth, Kan., awaiting charges in the Army's maximum-security prison.

Read McClatchy's full report here. See photos from the incident below:

Loading Slideshow...
  • A mourner cries over the bodies of Afghan civilians, allegedly shot by a rogue US soldier, seen loaded into the back of a truck in Alkozai village of Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012. An AFP reporter counted 16 bodies -- including women and children -- in three Afghan houses after a rogue US soldier walked out of his base and began shooting civilians early Sunday. NATO's International Security Assistance Force said it had arrested a soldier 'in connection to an incident that resulted in Afghan casualties in Kandahar province', without giving a figure for the dead or wounded. (Getty)

  • Map locates Panjwai in Kandahar province, Afghanistan.

  • A villager points to a spot where a family was allegedly shot in their residence by a rogue US soldier in Alkozai village of Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012. (Getty)

  • The bodies of Afghan civilians allegedly shot by a rogue US soldier are pictured in the back of a van in Alkozai village of Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012. (Getty)

  • Anar Gul gestures to the body of her grandchild, who was allegedly killed by a U.S. service member in Panjwai, Kandahar province south of Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, March. 11, 2012. (AP)

  • An Afghan man sits in the back of a bus with the body of a person who was allegedly killed by a U.S. service member in Panjwai, Kandahar province south of Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, March 11, 2012. (AP)

  • The bodies of an elderly Afghan man and a child are pictured in Alkozai village of Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012. (Getty)

  • US soldiers keep watch at the entrance of a military base near Alkozai village following the shooting of Afghan civilians allegedly committed by a rogue US soldier in Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012. (Getty)

  • Afghan men gather for a service ceremony at Mohammad mosque in Alokozai village of Pajwai district in Kandahar province on March 13, 2012. (Getty)

  • Afghan men offer prayers during a service ceremony at Mohammad mosque in Alokozai village of Pajwai district in Kandahar province on March 13, 2012. (Getty)

  • Afghan men gather for a ceremony at Mohammad mosque in Alokozai village of Pajwai district in Kandahar province on March 13, 2012. (Getty)

  • An Afghan youth mourns for relatives, who were allegedly killed by a U.S. service member in Panjwai, Kandahar province south of Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, March. 11, 2012. (AP)


FOLLOW WORLDPOST

Filed by Ryan Craggs  |