It has come to this: Music legend Elton John is using music legend Whitney Houston as a cautionary tale for addiction. In an interview with "E! News," the 65-year-old told David Burtka that his proudest accomplishment in life was not his six Grammy Awards, but getting sober in 1990.
"I would not be the person I am today [if I hadn't]. I wouldn't have [son] Zachary, I wouldn't have [husband] David [Furnish]. I wouldn't have anything. I'd probably be dead," he says in the on-camera interview.
Elton continues: "I didn't want to end up like Whitney Houston, and I could have so easily ended up like Whitney Houston. It's a miracle I didn't. Because I'm sure I did as much cocaine as she ever did."
Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub on Feb. 11; the official reason for her death has been cited as accidental drowning with cocaine present in the legendary singer's system. John has been outspoken about his alcohol and cocaine use, copping to a drug overdose in 1975 and telling Piers Morgan that he was "the biggest junkie there was."
After years of struggling with cocaine and heroin addiction and serving jail time, the actor is clean and sober.
Singer Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London home on July 23, 2011. The 27-year-old singer's life was cut short due to accidental alcohol poisoning. <em>CORRECTION: In an earlier version of this slideshow, the date Ms. Winehouse died was incorrect. She died on July 23, 2011.</em>
The 25-year-old actress has spent the last five years in and out of rehab and still stuggles to stay sober today.
In February 2011 Charlie Sheen claimed he was clean of drugs and alcohol, but high on himself. The actor has publicity struggled with addiction for years, but many doubt his claims of sobriety.
Drew was famously an addict as a child. By her own admission she said she had her first drink at 9, began smoking marijuana at 10 and began using cocaine at 12. By age 13 she entered rehab and has maintained her sobriety since.
The comedian overcame a cocaine addiction, but headed back to rehab after 20 years of sobriety in 2006 to address his issues with alcohol.
The Black Eyed Peas singer kicked a crystal meth and ecstasy habit.
An accidental overdose of prescription medication killed the actor on Jan. 22, 2008.