The 81-year-old Chicago man who last week shot a teen who broke into his home was cleared Monday of the weapons charges he faced.
Homer Wright was previously charged with unlawful use of a weapon because, due to previous weapons charges dating back to 1968, he is not legally allowed to own a gun, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
Anthony Robinson, 19, was in the midst of breaking into Wright's home in the 6400 block of South Morgan Street around 6:30 a.m. last Monday when Wright shot the teen in the leg. Authorities believe the teen was attempting to steal Wright's liquor, since he owned a tavern next door.
Wright was released on $10,000 bond on Tuesday after Englewood residents expressed outrage that the man was arrested for defending himself in a crime-ridden neighborhood. Robinson, who was charged with felony burglary, was ordered held on $150,000 bond. According to the Sun-Times, he has been arrested at least 13 times since 2009.
"Where in America can you not defend yourself?" Darryl Smith of the Englewood Political Task Force told ABC Chicago. "And because you have a felony is your life less valuable than any other person? Had he not had a gun, we would be here for another reason, because he was beaten to death."
Wright has operated a bar, Sheree's Past Time, for the past forty years, according to CBS Chicago. It is located in the same building where he lives with his wife and family.
While Wright told the Chicago Tribune Monday that he is pleased to see the weapons charge dropped, he still hopes police will return the pistol he used to shot the intruder.
"You, me or anybody else should be able to have some kind of protection," Wright told the Tribune. "You have to be able to take care of yourself."
WATCH a previous news report on Wright's weapons charge: