Gluten-Free Giant Cookie Cake
Please note that this recipe calls for potato starch, not potato flour.
This classic vanilla frosting quickly will become a standard in your baking repertoire. For extra decorative fun, add a few drops of all-natural food coloring.
Recipe courtesy of Allergy-Friendly Food for Families: 120 Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, and Soy-Free Recipes Everyone Will Enjoy from the editors of Kiwi Magazine/Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2012.
- Canola oil, for coating the pan
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 cup soy-free, nonhydrogenated margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed whisked with ¼ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips
- Dairy-Free Vanilla Frosting (see recipe below)
- DAIRY-FREE VANILLA FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup soy-free, nonhydrogenated margarine, at room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Thoroughly coat two 9-inch round cake pans with canola oil.
- In a medium bowl, add the sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the margarine for 1 to 2 minutes, until soft. Add the brown sugar and cane sugar, and beat for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, flaxseed mixture, and vanilla and beat again until well mixed.
- Working in batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until well-combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing the tops with a spatula (the batter will be very sticky). Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the edges are golden-brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For each cake, run a butter knife around the edge to help loosen it from the pan, then place a plate on top and invert to remove from the pan.
DAIRY-FREE VANILLA FROSTING: In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the margarine until soft. Add the powdered sugar in batches, then add the rice milk and vanilla. Beat for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. If not using right away, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come back to room temperature before frosting.
To assemble, place one cake on a plate or cake plate, rounded side up. Frost with half of the frosting, then top with the remaining cake, rounded side up. Place the remaining frosting in a piping bag (or plastic resealable bag with the corner tip snipped off) to decorate the top of the cake. Refrigerate until 1 hour before serving.