COMEDY

HuffPost Comedy Club: 'Spaced' By Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes & Edgar Wright, Season 2 Of 2

02/09/2012 01:09 pm 13:09:19 | Updated Jun 10, 2012

Hello, HuffPost Comedy Club members! We're here to discuss Season Two of the series "Spaced," starring Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes. To continue the Season 1 discussion go here. And if you want to make suggestions on what we should cover next, you can do that here.

Most importantly, if you have yet to join the club, sign up now! You'll get important -- and infrequent -- updates on discussions, upcoming features and events.

A bit about the editors who will be discussing the series with you:

Carol Hartsell, Comedy Editor
Next to Clint Eastwood and the horse in Winter's Tale -- who could totally kick War Horse's ass by the way -- Daisy is my personal hero. She's completely, awkwardly, shamelessly genuine, and she puts all of today's "adorkable" leading ladies to shame. I originally watched "Spaced" after a friend told me, "It's by the 'Shaun of the Dead' guys!" but I walked away completely in love with the comedic genius of Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson).

Katla McGlynn, Deputy Comedy Editor
I first saw “Spaced” when I got the DVD box set for Christmas in 2009, and since then it has become one of my all-time favorite shows. The abundant film references, the oh-so-90s clothes and music, and Daisy and Tim’s perfect will-they-or-won’t-they non-relationship are what interest me the most. Let's do this!

Ross Luippold, Associate Comedy Editor
I have never seen "Spaced" before, but I did have an unhealthy obsession with "Star Wars" as a kid -- I'll make bantha poodoo out of you at "Star Wars" Trivial Pursuit -- and I love everything else Edgar Wright has ever done. Also, I love England! And friendship! And liveblogging! Let's do this.

Christine Friar, Associate Comedy Editor
I'm watching the show for the first time, so if you're confused about something or dying to talk about that quote from your favorite character, find me! I'm probably dying too! And let's keep a running list of funny British ways of saying things while we're at it. Here, I'll start: lorry.

Seena Vali, Comedy Intern
I tend to gravitate to comedy that deals with social awkwardness since that's an almost constant aspect of my life. I'm also a big fan of science fiction, comic books and other nerdy stuff like that, so if you want to discuss possible references to "House Of M" #7 that you see, I'm your man.

06/19/2012 10:49 AM EDT

Look What Simon Pegg Found

"Spaced" star and co-creator Simon Pegg tweeted earlier that he recently came across an interesting picture:

simon pegg

That's none other than the famous drawing of Damien Cox, the head of Dark Star Comics, which Tim, Mike and Tyres had to go retrieve after Daisy accidentally put in Tim's portfolio. Cool find!

-Seena

06/06/2012 1:59 PM EDT

Was Lena Dunham Inspired by 'Spaced'?

Reader Meagan asks a really interesting question:

Does anyone else see the connections between Lena Dunham's Hannah character on GIRLS and Daisy Styner of SPACED? Both lazy (slightly over normal weight) "writers" who never write, can't hold down jobs, or have good personal hygiene? Even the haircut. It seems like Lena took Daisy and Twist and created American Daisy and pseudo British Twist in the form of Jessa (No one knows why she is friends with Daisy/Hannah, she's either an evil genius or a bit dim). Except in SPACED Adam is Brian and ends up with Twist for kinky weird arty sex. Discuss.

What do you think? Do you see the similarities?

06/06/2012 12:35 PM EDT

And So It Ends

"They say the family of the 21st century is made up of friends, not relatives. Than again, maybe that's just bollocks"

After the intense drama of episode six, the series finale, "Leaves" leaves a little to be desired. That's not to say it isn't a good episode. All the loose ends are tied up rather cathartically, and you have to appreciate the way Wright brought the show full-circle by replicating Tim and Daisy's first look at the apartment when the potential tenants come by for a viewing:

spaced7

The main plot of the episode -- Marsha attempting to sell her triple-valued property -- is a bit predictable when you that it's the finale, but Tim and Daisy's plot-line keeps you guessing. If this were an American TV show, it would have probably ended with Tim declaring his love for Daisy with some dramatic, romantic gesture. But that wouldn't have felt right, considering how subdued they've been the entire series.

In the end, when the "professional couple" is back in their flat with Colin and all is right in the world, you definitely get the feeling that they have both found what they were looking for: a secure home and a true companion. No impromptu proposal or Jim-and-Pam style wedding needed. When Tim's head rests on Daisy's, you know it's love.

What did you think of how the series wrapped up?

-Katla

06/05/2012 2:22 PM EDT

If You Love The Music From "Spaced," You'll Love This

The website SpacedSountrack.com compiles all the songs from series 1 and 2 and breaks them down by episode. It's brilliant!

Not only do they offer the song/album/artist names, but they also link you to the iTunes and Amazon pages where you can purchase the songs. I've already downloaded some of my personal favorites, including the opening theme song ("Morse") and Tim's "happy walk" song ("S'Il Vous Plait"):

-Katla

06/05/2012 1:11 PM EDT

Series 1 and 2 Outtakes!

I just found these hilarious outtake videos on YouTube. Check them out!

-Katla

05/21/2012 3:30 PM EDT

It's Too Orangey For Crows!

In episode 5, "Gone," you probably noticed a couple of references to a Kia-Ora advertisement with the catchphrase, "It's too orangey for crows!". To me, this sounded like some kind of bizarro Trix commercial. You know, "Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids!". So naturally, I had to look it up:

As it turns out, Kia-Ora makes a popular orange drink and, as you'll see above, some decidedly offensive commercials. This spot from the 1980s (yes, the 80s) contains more racial stereotypes than we thought humanly possible to cram into a 40-second ad.

Seriously, what were they thinking?

-Katla

05/21/2012 11:17 AM EDT

I Don't Know How To Feel About Sophie

Episode 4 of Season 2 really begins to test our tacit acceptance of Tim & Daisy as platonic life partners. It is here that we first meet Sophie, that girl Tim fancies as Mike calls her.

Sophie is sexy and mysterious and she has a position of power in the comics industry, which kind of makes her perfect for Tim. More importantly, she seems to like him as well, because she saves his proverbial bacon by removing the "wanker" drawing of Damien from Tim's portfolio. At the end of the episode, Tim has an interview and a date lined up.

Why does this bother me so much? I don't necessarily want he and Daisy to be together; their relationship almost has more intimacy and complexity because they aren't having sex. But I don't want either of them to be with anyone else either. More importantly, I don't want the world that has been constructed around them to fall apart.

How do you feel about Tim going out with Sophie? Do you want Tim and Daisy to be together ultimately?

-Carol

05/14/2012 6:09 PM EDT

Reader Comment

That's right! Tyres O'Flaherty (Tim's crazy Techno bike messenger friend played by Michael Smiley) is in "Sean Of The Dead" along with a large portion of the cast of "Spaced" Smiley even plays a zombie dressed a lot like Tyres. Of Course you've got Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Peter Serefinowicz, but some might not have noticed that Jessica Stevenson (Daisy) is also in the movie as the leader of a gang of survivors that's identical to Sean's.

05/14/2012 5:49 PM EDT

Episode Three: "Mettle"

The first thing I noticed about this episode is that it's seriously packed with great TV and movie references -- even more than usual -- and not to mention three solid, completely separate plot lines.

We start with an homage to Robocop, which is obviously one of the greatest movies of our time (If you haven't seen it in a while, do yourself a favor and download this Rifftrax to go along with it. It's amazing). Then, we see that Tim and Mike are involved in a "Robot Wars" (or "Battlebots" for us Americans) competition with violent, homemade robots, that we later learn is more akin to the movie "Fight Club." And this is all before we're introduced to Daisy's latest gig, which is in itself a pretty solid "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" reference. Oh, and at one point she's Sandra Dee. I'm sure there are more (Go ahead, commenters, we know you will!).

Aside from the nerdy references, "Mettle" uses more of "Spaced"'s signature 90s techno mixes to move along a funny montage where we see everyone going to work: the boys on their bot, Daisy on her dishes and Brian on his… whatever it is Brian does for his exhibition. And speaking of Brian's exhibition: brilliant, right?

And of course, you've got your requisite, awkward, Tim/Daisy romantic encounter. This time, during a bit of role-play before Tim's big competition, the two nearly go in for a kiss before Mike interrupts them, as he tends to do, and has an equally awkward exchange with Tim (Mike: "What's going on here?" Tim: "I was just coming... With you. To The Pub."). Oy!

What was your favorite part?

-Katla

04/19/2012 6:52 PM EDT

Change (And Not The Small Kind)

Episode two, "Change" starts with Daisy, Tim, Mike and Brian being violently awoken by the sound of Amber storming out of the house -- appropriate considering they each go through an abrupt change before the episode's end.

Things we learn:

• Daisy thinks "Mulan" is real (and Mike thinks it's Eddie Murphy's third best film)
  • "JarJar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f*cking Shaft" - Tim
  • Going on unemployment in England is referred to as "Signing on" which sounds WAY better than whatever we say
  • Tim is still reading Brian's mail
  • Daisy is as bad at holding down a job as she is at lying
  • An actress was OK with a comparison being drawn between herself and JarJar Binks on a TV show. Just sayin'
  • "Contentment is the enemy of invention" - Marsha
  • Brian stands in the garden without clothes on sometimes
  • If you insult a nerd's passion (and that nerd is your boss) you get sacked

And, obviously, the best shot of the episode:

-Katla