Of course, viewers' love of a TV show stems from the stories and characters; but there's no denying the important role music plays in a scene.
"Grey's Anatomy" knows this all too well. The moment that won Katherine Heigl her Emmy was partly in thanks to Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars": As Izzie lay in the arms of her dead fiance (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) she couldn't save, the lyrics, ''Would you lie with me, and just forget the world'' punctuated the sorrowful moment.
Check out some of HuffPost TV's Spotify playlist below, featuring music from "Mad Men," "Six Feet Under," "My So-Called Life" and many more shows that wouldn't have been the same without these songs.
- "Chasing Cars" By Snow Patrol ("Grey's Anatomy")
- "Late at Night" By Buffalo Tom ("My So-Called Life")
- "I Hear the Bells" By Mike Doughty ("Veronica Mars")
- "Goodbye to You" By Michelle Branch ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer")
- "Breathe Me" By Sia ("Six Feet Under")
- "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" By Bob Dylan ("Mad Men")
- "Rollin' in the Deep" By Adele ("Gossip Girl")
- "The End" By "The Doors" ("Without A Trace")
- "Make Your Own Kind of Music" By Mama Cass Elliott ("Lost")
Related on HuffPost:
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more