Fava Bean, Herb, and Avocado Salad on Bruschetta
Provided by: Joseph Erdos, Gastronomer's Guide
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs red-wine vinegar
- 1 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shelled fava beans
- 4 oz mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 4 slices French country bread
- garlic clove
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine oil, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, and shallot. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fava beans and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain and shock in ice water. Remove outer skins and place beans in a large mixing bowl. Add baby greens, parsley, and mint.
- Heat a grill pan set over high heat. Rub bread slices with garlic clove and brush or drizzle with olive oil on both sides. Grill until charred with grill lines, about 2 minutes per side. Set grilled bread onto a platter or individual plates.
- Cut open avocado. Use a large spoon to scoop out flesh halves. Place on cutting board and slice lengthwise. Top each piece of bread with a few slices of avocado.
- Whisk dressing to reincorporate. Drizzle over bowl of favas, greens, and herbs. Toss gently to combine. Divide salad among each piece of bread with avocado slices. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 appetizer servings.