Family members are praising the bravery of seven-year-old Mikah Kainine of Hidden Hills, Calif. When he was bitten by a rattlesnake in his backyard Saturday, his first thought was of his two-year-old brother Joseph and their dog, Luna.
In a heroic act, Mikah stepped in between the snake and his brother, who had begun to crawl towards the snake. Despite being struck with a potentially lethal poison, Mikah had the presence of mind to call out to his mother to take Joseph away. Mikah's mom said he also wanted to save Luna, who came out unharmed.
"I called for my Mom to help Jo-Jo," Mikah recounted to CBS2.
After receiving 25 vials of anti-venom, Mikah is recovering in the hospital. Because he's just a child and the rattlesnake's venom is so strong, he currently cannot walk. After four nights in the hospital, Mikah will soon be released. With weeks of physical therapy, he is expected to regain his ability to walk.
Fire Captain Ed Loney spoke to CBS2 about what to do in the case of a snake bite, advising snake bite victims to call 911 anyway, even if they're taking their own transportation to the hospital. It can take up to 30 minutes for doctors to mix the anti-venom, explained Loney, and emergency dispatchers can call ahead to get the process started.
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more