While visiting my family this past weekend in Charleston, South Carolina, the only thing that kept me cool in the 90-degree heat was eating lots of ice cream. And since going outside before sunset was not an option, I had plenty of downtime to practice a steady hand with this DIY nail art inspired by the sweet treat.
Talonted blogger Lex chose this season's pastel hues (as seen on the spring 2012 runways of Phillip Lim, Louis Vuitton, Vera Wang and Tibi) to perfect a manicure that is a fun way to experiment with the trend without being too flashy.
Photos: Models walk the runway at the 3.1 Phillip Lim spring 2012 fashion show, Chelsea Lauren/Getty Images; Models Own Ice Cream Sundae nail polish set; Models Own x WAH! black nail art pen; Seche Vite top coat; Talonted's pastel ice cream-inspired DIY nail art.
Follow Lex's six simple steps to recreate this delicious DIY nail art:
1. File nails into an oval shape, then paint the lower half with a brown color.
2. Polish the other half of nail in your favorite pastel nail polish.
3. Use a thin paint brush to recreate the effect of ice cream running down the cone.
4. Draw on white accents in spots where the light hits to give it a 3D effect.
5. Paint the criss-cross cone pattern using a black nail art pen.
6. Finish with a fast-drying top coat to protect your design.
What do you think of this ice cream cone manicure? Would you wear it? Tell us in the comments section.
Meanwhile, check out this polka dot gradient manicure that has us craving Dippin' Dots.
Click through the slideshow below for more DIY nail art.