MANHATTAN -- The man accused of being a well-dressed groper who allegedly molested women on the Upper East Side and in Lower Manhattan is expected to be cleared of the charges Monday, his lawyer said.
Karl Vanderwoude, 26, the leader of a Bible study group who is in finance, has maintained that he was nowhere near the scenes of the alleged attacks on East 67th Street and Second Avenue on Feb. 27 and Centre and Chambers streets on March 30.
"He is completely innocent," Vanderwoude's lawyer, Doug Burns, said Sunday. "It is a case of mistaken identity."
The suspect's employer, MVision Private Equity advisers, said that it has surveillance footage and emails providing Vanderwoude with an alibi.
According to Burns, Vanderwoude was working at the time of the Feb. 27 incident and at dinner with colleagues on March 30.
Police said that there were four attacks that were part of the pattern, but Vanderwoude was only charged with two.
When cops knocked on his door, Vanderwoude was stunned, he told the New York Post in his first interview since his arrest.
But he was picked out of a lineup and the case exploded into the spotlight.
"I hope the police find the person that they are looking for," he said, according to the Post.
A spokeswoman for the district attorney's office said that despite their best work, it appeared that they had arrested the wrong man.
Earlier on HuffPost:
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more