President Barack Obama will be back in town Thursday for George Clooney's fundraising shindig, and this time it seems most of Los Angeles will be spared the potential traffic snarl from a presidential motorcade. Instead, it'll all be concentrated in the windy canyon roads of the Valley.
Clooney, who lives off Laurel Canyon in Studio City, is hosting a $40,000/ticket dinner affair that's expected to raise about $12 million in total, the largest amount of any presidential fundraiser in American history.
150 Hollywood notables, such as DreamWorks Animation chief Jeffrey Katzenberg, will be joining Clooney that evening, which is why this Valley-centric traffic snarl has been aptly named "Starmageddon" in a headline by Silicon Valley Mercury News.
- After spending the first part of the day in Seattle, Wash., President Obama is scheduled to arrive at LAX at around 6 p.m. The President will be transported via helicopter and motorcade to George Clooney's home.
- While the President's exact route won't be disclosed for security reasons, Councilman Krekorian doesn't expect Ventura or Laurel Canyons, north of Ventura Boulevard, to be closed for traffic.
- Alert to residents in the hills: neighborhood street closures and emergency vehicles could result in limited delays.
- Alert to commuters: if you're driving on Laurel Canyon Boulevard and connecting streets north of Ventura, expect delays and road closures from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Alert to Studio City residents: local access to the area south of Ventura Boulevard in Studio City will be "virtually sealed off" from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., according to the LAPD. Only local residents with a current photo ID that displays their home address will be allowed to get through.
- Alert for George Clooney's neighbors: People who live in and around Fryman Canyon should either stay home or make other arrangements during the event. Everyone else should stay out!
- President Obama is staying the night in Beverly Hills and leaving Los Angeles in the early morning, as usual.
Barring the warning about neighborhood street closures in "the hills," here's a visual approximation of Councilman Krekorian's advice about possible street closures.
View Streets That Could Be Impacted By President Obama's Visit On Thursday, May 10 2012 in a larger map
We're not sure what Clooney has planned for entertainment Thursday night, but based on a tour of his home (video above), may we suggest a one-on-one basketball game between actor and President? Shirts vs. skins, please.
Earlier on HuffPost:
Photos from the Foo Fighters concert at President Obama's Los Angeles fundraiser in February
More:Obama In La May 10 2012 Obama George Clooney Obama In La Obama George Clooney Contest George Clooney Obama Fundraiser
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more