By AP/The Huffington Post
AMITYVILLE, N.Y. -- They talked about calling 911 in Grace Varley's pre-kindergarten class. She must have been listening.
The 4-year-old New York girl calmly dialed 911 for help Wednesday after her younger brother choked on a piece of chicken and passed out.
According to CBS News, Grace's grandmother was babysitting the girl and her 2-year-old brother, Myles, when he began to choke.
For a few minutes, the situation was desperate. Grace's grandmother was unable to clear the boy's airway and had carried the child outside yelling for help.
"When Nana ran out of the house I called 911," Grace said.
The police sergeant who took her call told Newsday that the little girl was "cool and collected" on the line.
Within minutes, a police officer who lives near the family's Amityville home was on the scene. Officer John Adriella was able to dislodge the food and get the child breathing again. He is doing well.
"Grace surprises us constantly," Grace's mother, Alison, said. "She’s far better than I could ever be, and that’s all you ever really hope for your children."
When asked about how she learned to handle such a situation, Grace -- who said she loves her brother, princesses and the color pink -- told CBS News that her teachers had given them instructions in class.