I've been feeling quite blue lately -- that is, when it comes to my nail polish. Maybe it's a reflection of my desire to be lounging on the beach this Memorial Day weekend. But with thunderstorms in the forecast, I've decided to capture the coolness of the shore with this DIY nail art.
Donne and Virginia Geer, the sisters behind Hey, Nice Nails!, chose bright blue colors from Thakoon and NARS' nail polish collaboration as the backdrop to this geometric print manicure. The clean lines may seem a bit intimidating, however, it's pretty simple to recreate yourself. It's all about breaking it down, shade by shade.
Photos: Model at the Dries Van Noten spring 2010 runway show, Nathalie Lagneau/Catwalking/Getty Images; NARS Koliary and Kutki; Delia's black nail art pen; Hey, Nice Nails! geometric print DIY nail art.
Read on for Donne's step-by-step instructions on how to get this mani:
1. Paint on one coat of NARS Koliary (a cyan blue)
2. Draw on a thick stripe of NARS Kutki (a powder blue) over Koliary
3. Then apply a thin navy stripe on the outer sides
4. Using a nail polish, paint a thin stripe down the center
5. To recreate the geometric prints, try a black nail art pen -- for sleeker lines, cut out the shapes in pieces of clear tape, stick on to nails, then fill-in color
6. Once dry, remove tape and dip an eyeshadow brush into acetone to clean up the edges
7. Seal the design with a fast-drying top coat like Seche Vite
What do you think about this geometric print manicure? Would you wear it? Tell us in the comments section.
Meanwhile, take a trek back into time for an illustrated history of nail art.
Click through the slideshow below for more DIY nail art.