The stress and strains of our always-connected lives can sometimes take us off course. GPS For The Soul can help you find your way back to balance.
GPS Guides are our way of showing you what works for others in the hopes that you can find out what works for yourself. Whether it's photos that relax you or make you smile, songs that bring you back to your heart, quotes or poems that balance you or meditative exercises that help de-stress you, we all have tricks that we use when we get bent out of shape. We encourage you to look at the GPS Guide below, visit our other GPS Guides here, and share with us your own personal tips for finding peace, balance and harmony.
Russell Bishop, Editorial Director, GPS for the Soul
Music for the Soul
I frequently listen to this playlist when working on something that requires focus and might otherwise be stressful. It sure does help! My list is a simple mix of music that brings me back to my heart.
Here's a breathing meditation I use that only takes 2-3 minutes but produces a profound effect. When I combine this little practice with my playlist, things get even sweeter.
- Sit comfortably, or lie down.
- Close your eyes.
- Notice how your body feels and what part of your body feels tense or stressed out (neck, shoulders, stomach, legs, etc.).
- Focus on your breathing and notice if you are breathing deeply from your diaphragm or more shallowly from your upper chest.
- Move your breathing more deeply, more slowly.
- Breathe in through your nose to a count of 4 or 5.
- Exhale through your nose to a count of 4 or 5.
- Repeat this rhythmic breathing for 2-3 minutes.
- Open your eyes.
- Notice how you feel.