Esquire's list of "The Best Bars in America" has been announced, and one thing is clear: 2012 is the year of Milwaukee. The men's magazine named the town "Bar City of the Year," namely because of two bars, Koz's Mini Bowl and Bryant's Cocktail Lounge.
Milkwaukee is a well-known drinking town, although that fact may not be common knowledge outside the Midwest. It's long been called the Beer Capital of the World, much thanks to the Germans who settled there from the 1850s onward. They brought with them brewing culture, establishing countless breweries, beer halls and taverns.
Before they went corporate or were snatched up by competitors, Schlitz, Blatz, Pabst and Miller -- four of the world's largest breweries at one point -- were all based in Milwaukee.
The full Esquire list, below, includes plenty of other non-Milkwaukee watering holes also:
- Koz's Mini Bowl, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Bryant's Cocktail Lounge, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Swift Hibernian Lounge, New York City
- The Bar at the NoMad Hotel, New York City
- Rob Roy, Seattle
- Lou's Beer Garden, Miami Beach
- Fred's Lounge, Mamou, Louisiana
- The Velvet Tango Room, Cleveland, Ohio
- Kask, Portland, Oregon
- Cat & Fiddle, Hollywood
- The Ball & Biscuit, Indianapolis
- ·Anvil Bar & Refuge, Houston
Check out the Best Bars In America over at Esquire.com.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more