Cherry-Lime Gin Rickey
Provided by: EatingWell
total prep 130 calories/serving
Gin, seltzer, bitters, lime juice, cherries and simple syrup combine for a truly refreshing cocktail in this gin rickey recipe. For a nonalcoholic rickey, omit the gin and add a little more seltzer.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed; see Tip)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 cups seltzer water
- 1/2 cup gin
- 12 dashes bitters
- Ice cubes
- 1. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. (Alternatively, combine sugar and water in a small bowl; microwave, stirring once, until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.)
- 2. Puree cherries and lime juice in a blender until mostly smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sugar syrup (to taste), seltzer, gin and bitters; pulse to combine.
- 3. Fill 4 rocks glasses with ice and top with the cherry-lime rickey. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
- Tip: To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.