Huffpost WorldPost

Radovan Karadzic Trial: Prosecutors To Appeal Genocide Ruling

Posted: Updated:
RADOVAN KARADZIC TRIAL
In this Nov. 3, 2009 file photo former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic enters the courtroom of the U.N.'s Yugoslav war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands. Karadzic, 66, asked U.N. judges on Monday, June 11, 2012, to dismiss his war crimes case halfway through the trial. (AP Photo/Michael Kooren/Pool, File) | AP

THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- Prosecutors at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal are appealing the U.N. court's decision to drop one of the two genocide charges against former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic.

Prosecutors filed a request Tuesday for permission to appeal the decision that judges handed down last week, in which they said there was not enough evidence to uphold a charge that a Serb campaign of killings and deportations early in the 1992-95 war amounted to genocide.

The prosecution request says trial judges "made errors of law and fact regarding the charge of genocide which resulted in the acquittal" of Karadzic on one genocide count.

The ruling came at the end of the prosecution's presentation of evidence at Karadzic's trial.

Karadzic is scheduled to begin his defense case in October.

Around the Web

Prosecutors to Appeal Karadzic Genocide Ruling

Genocide count dropped in Karadzic trial

Karadzic acquitted of one count of genocide

Karadzic asks judges to dismiss his genocide case