Huffpost Weird News

Boy Eats Grandmother's Pot Cookies, Sleeps For 3 Days In California

Posted: Updated:
A family in Murietta, Calif., may face child endangerment charges after a three-year-old accidentally ingested his grandmother's pot-laced cookies.
A family in Murietta, Calif., may face child endangerment charges after a three-year-old accidentally ingested his grandmother's pot-laced cookies.

A 3-year-old boy slept for three days after accidentally eating his grandmother's pot-laced cookies.

The indica incident happened Friday night in Murrieta, Calif. Authorities said the grandmother, who has been diagnosed with cancer, had a doctor’s recommendation for marijuana to treat her pain and to help her sleep.

Murrieta Police Dept. Sgt. Phil Gomez said the grandmother had baked THC oil -- the active ingredient in marijuana -- into a batch of cookies and tucked them away in a garage refrigerator, only to have her grandson help himself to the baked treats, the Press-Enterprise reported.

The boy's family called an ambulance on Saturday morning when he didn't wake up after sleeping more than 16 hours. It wasn't until the child was at the hospital that connection between the cookies and his long nap was made, according to the Daily Mail.

Police told the Los Angeles Times that an investigation had been launched, but the Press-Enterprise said no one has been arrested and the incident is still under investigation until the results of toxicology tests come back from the lab.

If the results come back positive, Sgt. Gomez said the family members could face child endangerment charges, although he noted that except for the pot cookies, the child seemed well cared for.

The family's name wasn't revealed, because no one has been arrested.

“It’s unfortunate that they didn’t take better steps to keep those cookies out of reach of the child,” Gomez told the Press-Enterprise. "[The grandmother] claims she’s not going to make them ever again.”

Around the Web

Grandma's pot cookies land 3-year-old in hospital - California State ...

Toddler Eats Pot Brownie - CBS 12 Action News