Over a 5-day stretch beginning on July Fourth and ending Sunday, 16 New Yorkers were killed. Some lowlights:
- A Bed-Stuy mom with terminal cancer allegedly confessed to fatally bludgeoning her 7-year-old son over the head.
- A Bronx mother allegedly fed her two children a concoction with chemical de-icer, before turning on the gas on the stove, and slitting her own wrists. The children died while she survived.
- A deranged man who stabbed a MTA officer in the eye was shot and killed by said MTA officer
- A Brooklyn schoolteacher was stabbed to death in her Staten island home during what cops believe was a home invasion.
- And in Queens, three men were gunned down "over a girl" after returning to their neighborhood from a Brooklyn nightclub. The killer reportedly fired 63 shots from an AK-47.
17 people were shot on July Fourth alone in New York City.
And although shooting are up 10.9 percent compared to the same time last year, the number of murders is down.
“The last four years have been the four safest in city history, but the week when the Fourth of July falls has been bloody every single year,” Stu Loesser, a spokesman for Mayor Michael Bloomberg, told The New York Post. “We’ve brought crime down lower and lower, but it’s important to note that after there were 18 homicides in the Fourth of July week in 2011, 18 in 2010, and 11 in 2009, each year ended up at or near historic murder lows.”
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more