A brush fire northwest of Buffalo Grove and Aptakisic roads destroyed grass and wiped out power to thousands of residents, but no lives or homes were harmed in the blaze. The fire was started by fireworks and quickly consumed about 15 acres of Commonwealth Edison property Sunday afternoon.
Buffalo Grove Fire Chief Terry Vavra said a resident reported the fire around 1 p.m. Sunday. Buffalo Grove firefighters “responded to what we were treating as a smaller grass fire,” but additional help was soon called in.
“The fire grew very, very quickly,” Vavra said.
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more