A New York couple who thought an engagement ring had found its final resting place in a watery grave was surprised to locate the one-carat diamond ring after a three-day hunt, reports WGRZ 2 in Buffalo, New York.
Samantha Peckens and her fiancé Adam Frost have been together for 15 years, and were playing a game of football in Lake Erie on July 8 when the ring fell from Peckens' finger into the lake.
The pair had 30 people searching for the sparkler, but it wasn't until their friend, Drew Supon, volunteered his underwater metal detector that they found the ring.
After three days of searching, Supon produced Pecken's ring from beneath sand and about four feet of water.
"I keep on saying he's my hero," Peckens told WGRZ.
Click through the slideshow to see other strange places that rings have been lost and later found.
An Idaho woman was reunited with her ring in April 2012, 18 months after she accidentally flushed it down the toilet. Sewage workers found the diamond ring and returned it to its owner, Mechelle Rieger.
Tim Bucher lost his wedding ring in a pond in Decatur, Ill. while fishing with his son in April 2012. He and his wife used the website, LostMyStuff.net to find the ring. A volunteer came to their town and scoured the pond, eventually finding the ring for Bucher.
A wedding ring was discovered inside of a cow's stomach in February 2012 when it landed on a butcher's chopping block. The cow had sucked the ring of a man's hand three-and-a-half years earlier.
Maura Burke lost her wedding ring down the drain of her Braintree, Mass. home in 2010. She had prayed for the ring's return but it never materialized. Then, two years later, city workers found the ring in Braintree's drainage system and returned it to its rightful owner.
Lena Paahlsson lost her wedding ring in her kitchen in Sweden in 1995. Sixteen years later, she and her husband discovered the ring in their garden -- with a carrot growing inside of it. Paahlsson said she believes her ring fell into the sink and got mixed up with vegetable peelings, which were then turned into compost and ended up in her garden.