LOS ANGELES — Prosecutors have declined to file a date-rape charge against Los Angeles Kings star Drew Doughty, citing insufficient evidence.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office issued a report Wednesday concluding there was not enough evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.
A woman who accused Doughty of raping her said she had consensual sex with him previously.
She told of drinking with him at a Hermosa Beach bar, then going to his home, where she said he assaulted her.
Doughty is among the Kings' highest paid players. The 22-year-old had two goals and four assists during the team's recent victory over the New Jersey Devils in the Stanley Cup finals.
Doughty's attorney, Craig Renetsky, said his client was relieved and thankful to the Hermosa Beach Police Department for their careful investigation of the case, which began last March.
"Drew has consistently maintained that the allegations were baseless and unwarranted," the attorney said. "Charges were never warranted in this case."
He said he and Doughty had cooperated with police since the inception of the case.