Healthified Apricot-Chicken Kabobs
Provided by: live better america
86% less total fat • 64% less sodium than the original recipe see the comparison. Use long skewers for a yummy entrée, or use shorter skewers to serve these as appetizers for a summer cookout.
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas or snow pea pods, strings and tips removed
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple cubes
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apricot fruit spread
- Sprinkle chicken with about half of the jerk seasoning; toss gently to coat. Cut any large pea pods in half crosswise.
- Alternately thread chicken, pea pods, pineapple cubes, and sweet pepper pieces onto 4 long or 8 short metal skewers, * leaving 1/4-inch spaces between pieces. Spray kabobs with nonstick cooking spray.
- For sauce: In a small saucepan, combine remaining jerk seasoning and the spreadable fruit. Cook and stir just until spreadable fruit is melted; set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, place kabobs on the rack directly over medium coals. Grill, uncovered, for 8 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender, turning once and brushing occasionally with sauce during the last 3 minutes of grilling.
- *If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before using.