When Reddit user sickleshwam posted the above image, we were provided with the perfect illustration of why you should always wash your fruit before eating it.
The title of Sickleshwam's post explains it all: "So, I was eating grapes in the dark and noticed a lot of the grapes had a web like substance on them."
It's unclear what type of spider is pictured, but it's known that black widow spiders can be a problem in California vineyards producing table grapes. The Central Valley Business Times explains that new, less toxic miticides and insecticides, which are used to eradicate pests like mites, leafhoppers and mealybugs, often fail to kill black widow spiders.
In 2008, Fresnostatenews.com wrote that reports of black widow spiders found in supermarket grapes were cropping up in New Zealand and Massachusetts. Fresno State plant science professor Dr. Andrew Lawson told the publication that the “movement of any black widow from the vineyard to the market place presents an immediate concern to the table grape industry,” Lawson said.
For the record, here are the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's recommendations about washing fruit:
Wash all produce thoroughly under running water before eating, cutting or cooking. This includes produce grown conventionally or organically at home, or purchased from a grocery store or farmer's market. Washing fruits and vegetables with soap or detergent or using commercial produce washes is not recommended.
11. Blue Plastic Chips Found In Ground Beef
This was by no means one of the most dangerous food safety incidents of the year, but it was <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/blue-plastic-chips-ground-beef_n_932889.html" target="_hplink">one of the strangest</a>.
10. Metal Fragments Found In Craisins
<a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/craisin-recall-ocean-spray-metal-shards_n_1116417.html" target="_hplink">Metal fragments</a> seem worse than blue plastic chips, right? This one also was non-lethal.
9. Listeria Found In Keebler's Factory
Kellogg's shut down production at its Keebler and Famous Amos factory after listeria was found on the cookies in June.
8. Norovirus Found In Oysters
A shocking <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/29/three-quarters-british-oysters-norovirus-winter-vomiting-bug_n_1118617.html" target="_hplink">three-quarters of oysters in UK</a> were found to contain food poisoning agent norovirus in a November food safety investigation.
7. Salmonella Found In Pine Nuts
42 people fell sick after eating <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/27/wegmans-pine-nuts-salmonella_n_1035091.html" target="_hplink">salmonella-tainted pine nuts</a> bought at Wegman's Supermarkets in October. Two-and-a-half tons of the nuts were then recalled from stores.
6. Radiation Found In Fish
Compared to the human tragedy that ensued after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan early this year, this seems small. But discovering that many fish in the Pacific had been <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/radiation-in-japans-fish-_n_845546.html" target="_hplink">contaminated with nuclear radiation</a> sent a jolt throughout the entire fishing industry -- and may still have effects on cancer rates down the line.
5. Salmonella Found In Ground Turkey
Dozens of Americans got <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/ground-turkey-salmonella-california-death_n_916711.html" target="_hplink">salmonella after eating ground turkey</a> from a tainted batch this August.
4. All Sorts Of Food Safety Crazy In China
Multiple deadly food safety incidents <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/china-food-safety_n_943903.html" target="_hplink">cropped up in China</a> this year -- including one, in February, that affected over 100 schoolchildren, some of whom are pictured above. But the Chinese government struck back against food poisoning in a big way: it ruled that the <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/30/china-death-penalty-food-safety_n_868742.html" target="_hplink">punishment for serious infractions would be death</a>.
3. E. Coli Found In Sprouts
When it comes to food safety, early summer and late spring were dominated by one story: Europe's gigantic E. coli outbreak, in which <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/severity-europe-e-coli-outbreak_n_869715.html" target="_hplink">over 1000 were sickened</a>. Part of the fascination was tied up in the mystery of the outbreak's source... people couldn't figure out the vector of the poisoning until finally scientists isolated one German farm's sprouts as the likely culprit.
2. More Than 150 Die Of Adulterated Alcohol
In what appears to be the deadliest food poisoning outbreak of the year, more than <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/india-bootleg-booze-deaths_n_1153222.html" target="_hplink">170 people died after drinking adulterated alcohol</a> in one district in eastern India.
1. Listeria Found In Cantaloupes
The deadliest food poisoning outbreak in a century of American history brought the country to its knees, with <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/listeria-cantaloupe-outbreak-over_n_1137920.html" target="_hplink">dozens dead after ingesting listeria</a> along with cantaloupes from Jensen Farms outside Denver.