HuffPost Book Club: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

08/22/2012 11:57 am ET | Updated Sep 12, 2012

Welcome to the discussion page for our reading of The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao. Scroll down to find out more about the editors you'll be hearing from, and watch our video discussions, read blogs, and discuss the book with other readers.

Andrew Losowsky, Books Editor. I'm British, so anything you think I've spelled wrong, is actually just spelled older. I look for stories to take my brain into new spaces, and I'll be particularly discussing the facts as we think we know them, and the clues I think we're being given by the story. I'll be choosing a few facts to use as jumping-off points for discussions.

Zoë Triska, Associate Books Editor. I was a Literature major so I can't help analyzing every single thing (from the syntax and language to metaphors, similes, you name it). I admit that I'm one of those people who Googles phrases, places, names every couple of pages when I'm reading. There are constantly things that stump me, though so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the significance of words, places, events that take place in the book.

Madeleine Crum, Assistant Books Editor. I like looking at language particularities, but in case you think that's a snooze (you wouldn't be alone), I'm also interested in reading what critics say about books and whether their reviews are spot on or way off.

Annemarie Dooling, Community Editor. Locations and descriptions speak to me the same way characters do. I love dissecting story details. If you read the same books over and over again the same way you visit an out-of-town friend, we're going to get along just fine.

Here's our reading schedule:
August 29: Pages 1-50
September 5: 51-113
September 12: 114-165
September 19: 166-210
September 26: 211-261
October 3: 262-335

Would you be interested in doing a Sunday evening Google hangout where everyone is invited? Leave a comment below telling us yes or no.

10/03/2012 3:46 PM EDT

The final discussion!

Join us at 4pm EST for our discussion of the ending of Oscar Wao, Junot Díaz's MacArthur genius grant award, and a final chance to vote for the next book!

09/26/2012 3:45 PM EDT

Our latest discussion: Trujillo and Power

Join our discussion at 4pm EST!

09/19/2012 11:57 AM EDT

Check here at 4pm ET for the discussion video link

I'll be posting it right in this exact spot, as well as on Twitter and Facebook. For an idea of what you'd like to say or ask, check out the conversation happening below in the comments concerning the roles of Dominicans in love and society, the history of the DR, and Diaz's fantastic mix of slang/prose/notes to tell a story within a story. What's your favorite theme of the book so far?

Thanks for dealing with our technical issues this week, everyone. You can watch us here:

09/19/2012 11:54 AM EDT

@ HuffPostBooks :

If you've been reading Oscar Wao with us and want to join our next live discussion, message us on Twitter! #HPBookClub

09/18/2012 1:07 PM EDT

"My ability to see women with any clarity is the linchpin of my art"

"Any guy gets the full dose of misogyny of your culture. A blind spot in the imagination vis-à-vis women. And I really believe this in my heart: What made it possible for me to be a writer was wrestling with that blind spot. My ability to see women with any clarity is the linchpin of my art." - Junot Díaz in Grantland

09/15/2012 11:09 AM EDT

On our last guest

@ TravelingAnna :

For folks reading along with #hpbookclub who wanted more info on our last guest, she is @carolacain.

09/14/2012 3:58 PM EDT

Strong women?

What makes a strong woman?

This week we had a mini discussion with guest Carol Cain, a strong Dominican woman herself, who felt that some ethnicities of women use strength in different ways. Dominican women, she feels, use sex appeal, not force, to convince strong men to make moves for them, or to control them.

Looking at the loud, intelligent and free-spirited women in "Oscar Wao," that could be one assumption - Lola specifically comes to mind - but there's another, quiet strength there as well.

How would you define the strength of the women of "Oscar Wao?"

09/13/2012 3:48 PM EDT

A great Junot Diaz tweet

@ JohnnyGolightly :

"The half-life of love is forever." - Junot Diaz

09/12/2012 3:28 PM EDT

Wednesday's discussion is here

Tune in at 4pm ET.

09/11/2012 6:33 PM EDT

Next Discussion Tomorrow on pages 114-165

Hey all! We'll be hopping on video tomorrow to discuss pages 114-165 and our best comments from below. What do you want to discuss? Leave an idea below and we'll pick our favorites.

- Annemarie