A guilty plea from the two teens who sexually assaulted her was unsatisfying for 17-year-old Savannah Dietrich, and the fact that she's now the one being questioned has made matters worse.
Things took an unexpectedly sour turn for Dietrich after she vented her frustration over the plea deal via social media. She called out her attackers by name, even though the court admonished her not to, unintentionally launching a war of words between Dietrich and attorneys from both sides.
"If the boys hadn't sexually assaulted me, this wouldn't have happened," Dietrich said. "None of this is my fault -- it is all their own doing. It is just wrong for them to try to turn me into the bad guy."
One of Dietrich's attacker's lawyers, David Mejia, commented on the case in an article that appeared in The Huffington Post Tuesday.
"The victim, in a fit of anger, tweets my clients name, calls him a rapist -- something he was never accused of ... She also said he videotaped her and put it on the Internet. There never was a rape, there was no video, and there was nothing on the Internet," Mejia told HuffPost.
Dietrich's attorney, Thomas Clay, said he may pursue legal action against the attorney for his comments.
"I have considered a defamation suit against him because of what he has said to The Huffington Post," Clay said.
Mejia filed a contempt motion against Dietrich in July, saying that his clients were angry about the comments she posted on her Twitter and Facebook pages, which they claim aren't entirely accurate.
Mejia represents one of two teenage boys who assaulted Dietrich in August 2011, after she passed out while drinking at a gathering.
The boys confessed to felony sexual abuse and misdemeanor voyeurism in the case. Dietrich, angry over the terms of the plea bargain, tweeted the names of the two teens -- a move that was forbidden since the judge ruled to keep all details of the case confidential since the parties involved are juveniles.
"I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell," the then-16-year-old tweeted.
Dietrich admits to naming the boys on her private Twitter account, but is adamant that she never made any posts in which she called the boys rapists. She also said she has never said anything about the existence of a video.
"I tweeted their names and that they sexually assaulted me," she said. "I did not ever make a tweet saying they were rapists ... not once. He also said I said that they made a videotape of me and put it on the Internet. I can guarantee you he cannot find one witness or one trace of evidence of me saying that."
The contempt motion was later dropped, but not before attorney Emily Farrar-Crockett was appointed to represent Deitrich. Farrar-Crockett is no longer involved in the case but she still stands behind her former client.
"In terms of her directly calling them rapists, she clearly said in her tweets that they sexually assaulted her," Farrar-Crockett told HuffPost.
"I think any woman who had done to her what they did to her would feel like [she] were raped, whether it met a legal definition or not," she added.
Exactly what happened to Dietrich is not yet known because the court records have been witheld.
Dietrich has said she was drinking with friends at a gathering when she passed out that night. When she later awoke, she discovered her clothes were disheveled and her underwear had been removed. She was later told the two boys had taken photos of her.
On Tuesday, Mejia said that his client "did admit to the conduct as charged, which was criminal sexual abuse or touching."
Dietrich said Mejia's description was "insulting."
"It was much more severe than touching," she said.
Prior to his interview with HuffPost, Mejia appeared on ABC's "Nightline" Monday. He said the intent behind the contempt motion was not to have Dietrich jailed.
"I was hoping she would even have some remorse or an apology to give. That didn't happen," Mejia said on "Nightline."
The attorney echoed those remarks during his interview with HuffPost.
"When we filed the motion, we wanted our client's name off the Internet and wanted [Dietrich] to know that what she was doing was wrong," he said.
Clay said he found the statement absurd. "You've got to be kidding," he said. "Apologize to whom?"
The Courier-Journal recently filed for the court to release the case files. The purpose is to allow Dietrich and anyone else involved in the case to discuss specific details that are currently kept confidential by juvenile court rules.
Clay is working on a similar motion.
"We are going to ask the court to open this file based on statements by Mejia to The Huffington Post, which we think are demonstrably false. The best way to demonstrate the falsity of these statements is to let the public look at the records. Let the public judge for itself," he said.
Dietrich said the purpose of the motion is not to expose the boys, but to "expose how I was treated by the court system -- how the court system handled this case and all the wrongdoings I felt were bestowed upon me."
Mejia did not respond to email or answer calls for comment from The Huffington Post Thursday.
A judge will make a ruling by Aug. 28 on whether to release the private juvenile court records.
Regardless of the outcome of the hearing, Dietrich said she would like to help others and is embracing her new role as a victim's advocate.
"If anything comes out of this, I hope to inspire other victims to come forward, stand up against their attackers, and don't stop fighting till [they] get the justice [they] deserve," she said. "It is really inspiring to me. If I get one victim to stand up against her attackers, I have accomplished something. That is what I want -- [for] them to hopefully look at my case and be inspired and to report a crime."
Dietrich's father, Michael Dietrich, said that while it has been a long road for his daughter, he has never doubted her ability to get through it.
"She's been very strong. I'm proud of Savannah," he said, adding, "I hope this all turns out to be very educational for young men and women."
Dietrich has a public Facebook page where she posts updates. <a href="http://www.facebook.com/Freedom4Savannah" target="_hplink">View them here</a>.
Those lawyers filed a contempt motion against Dietrich in July, 2012, after she tweeted the names of the boys.
The lawyers for Dietrich's attackers say that they're "devastated," had to move and got kicked out of school after she named them.
Savannah Dietrich, the Kentucky teenager who faced a contempt charge for naming her sexual abusers, has a public Facebook page where she posts updates. <a href="http://www.facebook.com/Freedom4Savannah" target="_hplink">View them here</a>.
"If reporting a rape only got me to the point that I'm not allowed to talk about it, then I regret it," Dietrich wrote on Facebook. "I regret reporting it."
Dietrich's attorney, Emily Farrar-Crockett, said she was unsympathetic to the boys' lawyer's complaints that she had no regard for their privacy.
"They took the pictures, they disseminated it, they told people about what they had done. To come back and blame her now for ruining their reputation I think is despicable. They did this to themselves," Farrar-Crockett said.
Earlier on HuffPost: