Those of you putting aside ticket money for "Avatar 4" might want to reallocate those resources elsewhere. In a new interview with the Courier-Post, "Avatar" producer Jon Landau clarified that while plans are in motion to shoot "Avatar 2" and "Avatar 3" back-to-back, the potential fourth film in the franchise will not happen just yet.
Back in June, "Avatar" co-star Sigourney Weaver caused a stir when she reportedly claimed to be heading back to the James Cameron-created world of Pandora for three consecutive films. Cameron himself had earlier revealed plans for a fourth "Avatar" film in an interview with the New York Times.
"I'm making 'Avatar 2,' 'Avatar 3,' maybe 'Avatar 4,'" Cameron said. "I'm not going to produce other people's movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts."
As the director famously told the paper, he is now in "the 'Avatar' business."
However, even Cameron admitted that "Avatar 4" was a ways off. In a July interview, the King of the World told the Times that reports of a fourth film were "premature" but not out of the question.
As for "Avatar 2," Cameron has allowed that the film probably won't hit theaters until 2015 at the earliest. Not that fans should be too upset: "Avatar" arrives on Blu-ray 3D for the first time starting on Oct. 16.
For more on that release, head over to the Courier-Post.