The New York Times's poll crunching wunderkind Nate Silver currently puts Barack Obama's chances at winning California at 99 percent.
Two things: 1. The smart money is never betting against Nate Silver. 2. Honestly, this is a pretty conservative estimate.
(SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS)
For President Obama, California's bounty of 55 electoral votes is essentially assured, but that hasn't left him to ignore the Golden State in favor of more swing state-y pastures. If anything, it's the opposite: Obama has come to the west coast on a near-monthly basis seeking campaign cash to counter the $1 billion spending blitz planned by GOP groups and super PACs looking to install a Republican in the White House next January.
According to OpenSecrets.org, Californians have given President Obama's campaign just over $30 million in this election cycle alone. That's more than the second- and third-ranked states, New York and Illinois, combined.
The top individual Democratic donors in the state are Dreamworks chief Jeff Katzenberg, former Qualcomm chairman Irwin Jacobs and investor Anne Earhart.
Organizations and corporations in California have also been particularly generous donors to Obama's campaign coffers. The employees, their families and affiliated PACs of the University of California have given nearly $500,000 to the president, the most of any organization in the county. Silicon Valley tech giant Google was third biggest organizational donor, with about $357,000.
California-based bundlers, private individuals who raise money for candidates in an organized way from friends, family members and co-workers, have put at least $34.3 million into the president's re-election campaign.
GOP nominee Mitt Romney has also amassed a major haul in the state. The $17 million his campaign has raised in California is the most of any state and the largest individual donors--venture capitalist Peter Thiel and Hollywood businessman Jerry Perenchino--both almost excursively give to Republicans.
Check out this slideshow of California's largest individual donors:
30. Marcy Carsey - $309,121, 100% Dem
Company: Carsey-Werner LLC Home: Los Angeles, CA
29. Paul & Michelle Zygielbaum - $316,100, 100% Dem
Company: C8 Medisensors Home: Santa Rosa, CA
28. David C. Bohnett - $361,600, 85% Dem
Company: Baroda Ventura Home: Beverly Hills, CA
27. J.J. Abrams & Kathleen McGrath - $371,600, 100% Dem
Company: Bad Robot Productions (Producer) Home: Beverly Hills, CA
26. Alan F. Horn & Cindy Harrell - $395,275, 100% Dem
Company: Warner Brothers Home: Los Angeles, CA
25. Richard W. Boyce - $406,040, 99% Rep
Company: <a href="http://www.tpg.com/" target="_hplink">TPG Creative Capital</a> Home: Portola Valley, CA
24. Charles B. & Ann. L. Johnson - $406,912, 98% Rep
Company: Franklin Resources Home: Hillsborough, CA
23. Jesse & Melinda Rogers - $415,000, 95% Rep
Company: Altamont Capital Home: Atherton, CA Jesse Rogers at the Private Equity Analyst Conference.
22. Howard H. & Gretchen Leach - $432,100, 99% Rep
Company: Leach Capital Home: San Francisco, CA Howard H. Leach and his wife (L) as they attend the inaugeration of 3 fountains at Versailles Castle on June 12, 2004 in Versailles, France.
21. Sandor Straus- $440,125, 97% Dem
Company: Merfin LLC Home: Lafayette, CA
20. David Desjardins- $524,100, 100% Dem
Profession: Consultant Home: Burlingame, CA
19. Charles R. & Helen O. Schwab - $527,998, 97% Rep
Company: Charles Schwab & Co Home: San Francisco, CA
18. Stephen L. Bing - $532,000, 100% Dem
Company: Shangri-La Entertainment Home: Encino, CA
17. Geoff & Anne Palmer - $578,100, 100% Rep
Company: <a href="http://www.ghpalmer.com/home.html" target="_hplink">G.H. Palmer Associates </a> Home: Los Angeles, CA
16. John D. & Marcia L. Goldman - $580,100, 100% Dem
Company: Pace School Home: Atherton, CA John D. Goldman at the 2008 Goldman Environmental Prize award ceremony in San Francisco.
15. Lawrence & Suzanne Hess - $719,650, 94% Dem
Company: Lehbros Ltd Home: San Diego, CA
14. Terrence R. & Barbara Caster - $723,450, 99% Rep
Company: Caster Group Home: San Diego, CA
13. Howard & Susan L. Groff - $735,000, 100% Rep
Company: Northwest Excavating Home: Northridge, CA
12. Stephen M. Silberstein- $750,600, 100% Dem
Retired Home: Belvedere, CA
11. Robert D. Arnott - $858,400, 100% Rep
Company: Research Affiliates LLC Home: Newport Beach, CA
10. Morgan Freeman - $1,001,000 - 100% Dem
Profession: Actor Home: Los Angeles, CA
9. Bill Maher- $1,010,000, 100% Dem
Profession: Actor Home: Los Angeles, CA
8. Kareem Ahmed - $1,128,300, 100% Dem
Company: Landmark Medical Management Home: Racho Cucamonga, CA
7. Haim & Cheryl Saban - $1,166,073, 100% Dem
Company: Saban Capital Group Home: Los Angeles, CA
6. Wayne D. Jordan & M. Quinn DeLaney - $1,245,200, 100% Dem
Company: Jordan Real Estate Invest/Akonadi Fdtn Home: Oakland, CA Credit: <em><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oaklandlocal/4708869922/in/set-72157624169308487/" target="_hplink">Oakland Local, Flickr</a>. </em>
5. Anne G. Earhart - $1,450,300, 100% Dem
Profession: Investor Home: Corona Del Mar, CA
4. Irwin M. & Joan K. Jacobs $2,205,300, 99% Dem
Company: Qualcomm Inc Home: La Jolla, CA
3. Jeffrey & Marilyn Katzenberg - $2,436,300, 100% Dem
Company: Dreamworks Animation SKG Home: Los Angeles, CA
2. A. Jerrold & Margaret Perenchio - $2,683,000, 100% Rep
Company: Chartwell Partners Home: Los Angeles, CA File photo of A. Jerrold Perenchio from 1971.
1. Peter A. Thiel - $4,794,700, 100% Rep
Company: Clarium Capital Management Home: San Francisco, CA
HuffPost Live will be taking a comprehensive look at the persistence of poverty in America Sept. 5 from 12-4 p.m. EDT and 6-10 p.m. EDT. Click here to check it out -- and join the conversation.