Huffpost Weird News

Apartment Fire Possibly Caused By Resident Cooking Squirrel In Michigan

Posted: Updated:
SQUIRREL APARTMENT FIRE
Authorities suspect this Holland Township, Mich. fire was caused by a resident cooking a squirrel with a torch | AP

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.

Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.

The resident's name wasn't immediately released.

Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.

Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.

The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.

Also on The Huffington Post

Animals In The News
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Person torching squirrel fur starts apartment fire in Holland - WZZM 13

Squirrel dinner may have sparked apartment fire | khou.com Houston

Person torching squirrel fur starts apartment fire | Video | 9news.com

Officials: Burning squirrel fur caused apartment fire

Squirrel torched to eat; apts destroyed

Resident using torch to singe squirrel's fur started Holland Township ...

Torch used to singe squirrel may have sparked fire