Editor's note: Louis C. Tiffany and the Art of Devotion is on exhibition at Museum of Biblical Art (MoBiA) in New York from Oct. 12, 2012 to Jan. 20, 2013. The introduction and photo captions were provided by MoBiA.
Tiffany’s companies -– Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company, New York and, starting 1902, Tiffany Studios -– created hundreds and hundreds of stained-glass windows for churches and for a couple of handfuls of synagogues throughout the United States, particularly after it opened an ecclesiastical division in 1899. Many are still in place, though there is no catalogue raisonne that provides a comprehensive list. Others –- now owned by museums, private collectors, and art dealers –- were acquired when houses of worship were demolished, often to make way for new buildings.
In creating stained-glass windows, Tiffany drew on a wide range of subjects and historical styles and references while imbuing them with remarkable artistry and incorporating both traditional and innovative techniques in glass making.