Huffpost Crime

Major Nidal Hasan Appeals Forcible Beard Shaving In Fort Hood Shooting Trial

Posted: Updated:
Major Nidal Hasan is charged in the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas. | AP

FORT HOOD, Texas -- Attorneys for the suspect charged in the Fort Hood shooting spree have filed their appeal of rulings that he can have his beard forcibly shaved before his murder trial.

An Army statement says Maj. Nidal Hasan's attorneys filed their appeal Wednesday with the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces.

The appeal also seeks to have the military judge presiding over his case, Col. Gregory Gross, removed, claiming he is biased against Hasan.

Last month, the U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals upheld Gross' order to shave Hasan. His court-martial remains on hold pending the appeals.

The 42-year-old Army psychiatrist faces the death penalty if convicted in the 2009 attack that killed 13 and wounded more than two dozen others on the Central Texas Army post.

Also on HuffPost:

Fort Hood Shooting
Share this
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Major Nidal Hasan Won't Shave His Beard, Putting The Trial of the ...

Fort Hood Suspect's Beard Must Be Shaved, Judge Rules ...

'Killer' Maj Nidal Hasan's beard can be 'forcibly' shaved off, US court ...

Fort Hood massacre suspect's beard must go, says judge | World ...

Court rules Fort Hood shooting suspect Nidal Hasan must shave beard

Fort Hood shooting suspect appeals forcible beard-shaving ruling