BOOKS
11/19/2012 05:08 pm ET Updated Dec 12, 2012

Book Club: American Dervish

Welcome to the discussion page for American Dervish. Scroll down to meet the editors you'll be hearing from, and watch our video discussions, read blogs, and discuss the book with other readers.

As we read, leave your thoughts and comments below. View our how-to here, if you need a refresher on the book club

Zoë Triska, Associate Editor. I was a Literature major so I can't help analyzing every single thing. I admit that I'm one of those people who Googles phrases, places, names every couple of pages when I'm reading. There are constantly things that stump me, though so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the significance of words, places, events that take place in the book.

Andrew Losowsky, Books Editor. I'm British, so anything you think I've spelled wrong, is actually just spelled older. I look for stories to take my brain into new spaces, and I'll be particularly discussing the facts as we think we know them, and the clues I think we're being given by the story.

Madeleine Crum, Associate Editor. I like looking at language particularities, but in case you think that's a snooze (you wouldn't be alone), I'm also interested in reading what critics say about books and whether their reviews are spot on or way off.

Annemarie Dooling, Senior Community Editor. Locations and descriptions speak to me the same way characters do. I love dissecting story details. If you read the same books over and over again the same way you visit an out-of-town friend, we're going to get along just fine.

Here's our reading schedule:
November 21: Through Book 2 - Nathan
November 28: Through Chapter 9 - The Hypocrites
December 5: Through Chapter 11 - The Turn
December 1213: Through Chapter 15 - The Farewell Begins
December 19: Through the end of the book

You can find past discussions on this page.

12/19/2012 3:03 PM EST

Watch Ayad Akhtar discuss Islam, writing and great religious-themed authors

12/17/2012 3:04 PM EST

What would you ask the author?

On Wednesday we will finish up the book with a conversation with author Ayad Akhtar. We've been saving your best thoughts and questions below and plan to ask him on 4:30pm when we have our Google Hangout.

If you have any more questions that you'd love to hear answered through the author's point of view, leave a comment below, or email hpbookclub@huffingtonpost.com and tell us.

We'll see you right here on Wednesday!

12/13/2012 3:04 PM EST

WATCH: Our discussion on fundamentalism and the end of the book

At 4pm on Thursday, December 13th we'll be discussing fundamentalism vs. spirituality and the timelines of Mina and Hayat. We'll have a few community members on and if you'd like to join, look here at 4pm for the link to join us.

Join here: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/5c5b331e143098145834e7ae4591cda209f430f6?authuser=0&hl=en-US#

You don't need video, you can join the chat box in the hangout instead. We'll see you at 4pm!

See our latest discussion about religion, the portrayal of Islam in the book, and the ending, featuring guest community members Masood, and (in a chat box on the side of our hangout) Kyle.

12/12/2012 2:39 PM EST

Interview

@ ayadakhtar :

Interview about writing, acting & American Dervish at Author Magazine - http://t.co/b1dDYOyJ

12/12/2012 2:35 PM EST

Almost there...

@ Between_Covers :

80% done with American Dervish, by Ayad Akhtar: #hpbookclub http://t.co/4n2XTZuL

12/12/2012 2:31 PM EST

Fundamentalism vs. unwavering spirituality

Last week one of our community members, Gary, brought up a fantastic point. Nearly every character in American Dervish has an amazingly strong reaction to religion of any type. We've been reviewing their devotion as if they were simply followers of their respective religions, but are they more? Hayat, in particular, is nearly obsessed with the idea of becoming a hafiz.

So what do you think? Do our characters represent the far end of the religious spectrum, or are they just an accurate portrayal of the truly devoted?

Join us here on THURSDAY, December 13th for our Google Hangout when we explore this with several community members. Leave your thoughts below or hop in the video chat tomorrow.

12/05/2012 12:26 PM EST

Join us right here at 4pm on 12/5

You'll find our Google video hangout right in this entry at 4pm Wednesday

You do not need video to participate, but are welcome to join via video. When entering, click the chat room at the far end of the Hangout and talk with us via chat.

If you missed the live chat, you can watch it here anyway and leave your comments at the bottom of the page for discussion in the next Wednesday newsletter and chat.

12/05/2012 12:24 PM EST

New readers! Welcome!

@ spfriedman :

@HuffPostBooks has a book club!! Wow so fun #hpbookclub

12/05/2012 12:23 PM EST

Is Hayat justified in his confusion?

Many readers feel close to Hayat and have voiced their own stories of confusion in their religious and cultural identities growing up. Most of those readers also shared either a mixed background or came from a family that emigrated.

Do you share these opinions? Leave your personal story below.

11/29/2012 4:45 PM EST

From our guest, Hammad

@ Moses9i6 :

Come check us out via livestream and share your comments at: http://t.co/ZUg4edD3 @HuffPostBooks

Get your weekly dose of books, film and culture.