Black Friday, also known as Black Thursday for Walmart employees/discount shopping for crazy people/possibly hell on earth, is upon us. More power to you if you choose to brave the crowds, but for many of us Black Friday in all of its commercial insanity is just too much.
For those in the latter camp, we've rounded up a list of 10 things you can do instead of shopping on Black Friday. We guarantee they'll all be more enjoyable than subjecting yourself to sales at an ungodly hour, incredibly long lines and a stampede or two.
1. Sleep in -- and stay in bed for a few hours once you do wake up. Nothing will make you feel as spoiled -- or thankful.
2. Go out for breakfast and enjoy a gloriously uncrowded restaurant, NOT filled with Black Friday shoppers. While everyone is buying discount flat-screens, you'll be sipping mimosas and eating fluffy pancakes.
3. Actually send holiday cards this year. When else are you going to have an extra morning hour (or three) to sit down and write friends and business contacts messages of holiday cheer. And because you are not at Nordstrom Rack or Best Buy at 7am, you will actually feel cheerful.
4. Clean out your closet. Go through all of your old clothes and get rid of anything you haven't worn in the last year. Make room for anything new you buy -- after Black Friday.
5. Perfect the post-Thanksgiving club sandwich. If you think bacon and cranberry can't be friends, you're about to have your mind blown.
6. Rake leaves in the backyard ... and then jump into the pile. Nothing like frolicking in fall foliage to make you feel 10 years old again -- or like one of those ladies in stock photos (in a good way).
7. Eat that leftover pie before anyone else in your family gets to it. First come, first serve.
8. Volunteer! Go out into your community and help someone else. After all, Thanksgiving is about appreciating what you have, which usually leads to recognition of a) how much less some others have and b) how much more you could do to help them. When you feel the Thanks, Give.
9. Watch some so-bad-they're-good (or just plain good) holiday movies, because they’re likely all playing on repeat on ABC Family. We're looking at you, "Miracle on 34th Street," "White Christmas," "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Home Alone."
10. Learn how to make a hot toddy so good it will make anyone who drinks it want to do chores for you -- and invite you to every holiday party they ever have. Truly the gift that gives back.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: STORES THAT ARE OPENING FOR BLACK FRIDAY -- ON THURSDAY
The reality of being a woman — by the numbers. Learn more