12/10/2012 03:01 pm ET | Updated Aug 15, 2013

When To Bend Nutrition Rules With Your Kids, From Joy Bauer (WATCH)

Joy Bauer, health and nutrition expert, gave tips on balancing a child's healthy diet with their requests for junk food and sweets when she joined me on Mondays With Marlo. Joy said that in her house, she gives her kids healthy food 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time they get some wiggle room. She suggested structuring your child's eating by allowing them to have a dessert after dinner each night and a fun food in their lunch bag, with the exception that the rest of their food is super healthy.

Visit Joy Bauer on Facebook and Twitter for other great ideas.

And for more seasonal health and nutrition advice, see Joy's holiday health tips:

Joy Bauer's Holiday Health Tips

See more clips

Add Marlo On Facebook:

Follow Marlo on Twitter:


Follow Marlo on Pinterest

My Weekly Newsletter - Marlo ThomasWeekly Newsletter

Sign up to receive my email newsletter each week - It will keep you up-to-date on upcoming articles, Mondays with Marlo guests, videos, and more!