Huffpost Chicago

Rick Ross Gang Threats Taken Seriously By Chicago Police Department

Posted: Updated:
RICK ROSS DEATH THREATS GANG CHICAGO CANCELS TOUR
The Chicago Police Department is taking death threats aimed at rapper Rick Ross from a Chicago gang seriously. Here, the rapper performs onstage at the 2012 BET Hip Hop Awards on September 29, 2012 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Rick Diamond/Getty Images for BET) | Getty Images
Print

Rick Ross might not have canceled his tour because of death threats from a Chicago-based gang, but the Chicago Police Department is still taking the threats seriously.

The Chicago PD has launched an investigation into death threats made against Ross by a Chicago gang, the Gangster Disciples, TMZ reported.

The Gangster Disciples made the threat against Ross in a YouTube video posted a few weeks ago, according to MTV News. In the video, the gang demands Ross cut a check to Gangster Disciples founder Larry Hoover or else there will be "trouble."

Chicago PD was made aware of the video and will be investigating.

The gang reportedly has a problem with Ross name-dropping Hoover in his 2010 single, "B.M.F. (Blowin' Money Fast)." Hoover, who formed the Gangster Disciples in the late 1960s, is serving life in federal prison, according to The Smoking Gun. Ross is also accused of stealing the group's Star of David logo for the cover of his latest mixtape, “The Black Bar Mitzvah."

In October, the Chicago Tribune reported that more than a quarter of the city's 400 murder victims through Sept. 25 of this year were affiliated with the violent gang.

Previously, Ross denied reports that he canceled his tour because of the threats.

In an interview with Miami's 99 Jamz, Ross claimed he canceled the tour dates because of shady behind-the-scenes dealings.

"I canceled the rest of the tour due to the promoter, he wasn't really handlin' his business," the 36-year-old rapper explained on air. Continuing, "Once they began to unravel, I shut it down. Never was it due to any threats. Any dude can stand in a crowd with 30 or 40 dudes and everybody real, everybody trill, everybody 'bout that life, everybody gangsta. But when the choppers come out, everybody fold."

This is not the first time Ross has been accused of misusing his artistic license. L.A. drug king “Freeway” Ricky Ross filed a lawsuit against the rapper, claiming the performer boosted his name and identity. Freeway lost the lawsuit earlier this year.

Around the Web

Rick Ross -- Chicago PD Investigating Death Threats from Gang ...

Rick Ross Says Tour Cancellation Was 'Never' Due To Gang ...

Rick Ross Didn't Cancel Tour Because Of Gang Threats

Police launch investigation into Rick Ross gang threat - MSN Music ...

Rick Ross Says Threats Played No Role in Canceling Tour - Yahoo ...

Rick Ross Gang Threat Taken Seriously By Cops!

Rick Ross Says Tour Cancellation Was 'Never' Due To Gang Threats

Rick Ross Says Threats Played No Role in Canceling Tour

Chicago Police Investigating Gang's Threats Against Rick Ross

Rick Ross Denies Threats Shut Down Tour; Disses Young Jeezy

Rick Ross cancels shows due to gang threats