ENTERTAINMENT

Best Director Nominees: Steven Spielberg, David O. Russell Nominated For Oscars

01/10/2013 08:48 am ET | Updated Jan 10, 2013

Best Director nominees at the Oscars this year include Steven Spielberg and David O. Russell.

Spielberg received his seventh Best Director nomination for "Lincoln," his drama about the 16th president. Spielberg has won the award twice before, for "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan."

Spielberg is joined in the category by Ang Lee ("Life of Pi"), David O. Russell ("Silver Linings Playbook") and two major surprises: Michael Haneke ("Amour") and Benh Zeitlin ("Beasts of the Southern Wild"). Presumed favorites Ben Affleck ("Argo"), Kathryn Bigelow ("Zero Dark Thirty") and Tom Hooper ("Les Miserables") were left off the list.

Last year, Michel Hazanavicius won Best Director for "The Artist." Hazanavicius defeated Martin Scorsese, Terrence Malick, Bennett Miller and Alexander Payne for the award.

For more on the Oscars nominations, head over to the Academy Awards website.

02/25/2013 1:18 AM EST

Good Night, And Good Luck

That's all from the Oscars 2013 live blog here at HuffPost Entertainment! Hope you enjoyed the show. This is Christopher Rosen, signing off.

oscars 2013

02/25/2013 1:07 AM EST

Ben Affleck Is Not Into Oscar Punditry

From backstage at the Oscars:

When did you feel a tipping point in your favor for this film?

Clooney: Michelle Obama.

Ben: When they gave us the trophies I was confident that we would win. I don’t get too much into the Oscar-ology and the pontificating. It doesn’t help me to read up on that stuff.

02/25/2013 1:06 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Facial Hair

Backstage at the Oscars with Daniel Day-Lewis:

Was it uncomfortable wearing the beard?

What do you mean? No it's just a beard. Do you wear your hair? It was my very own beard.

02/25/2013 12:54 AM EST

What Jennifer Lawrence Thought When She Fell

From HuffPost Los Angeles correspondent Sasha Bronner:

"A bad word. That starts with F."

02/25/2013 12:50 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Best Picture Winner Face

ben affleck

02/25/2013 12:49 AM EST

Patricia Clarkson At The Vanity Fair Oscar Party

patricia clarkson oscars

More on Patricia Clarkson's look here.

02/25/2013 12:44 AM EST

How Movies Change During Oscar Season

Here's Awards Daily blogger Sasha Stone just after "Argo" won Best Picture.

@ AwardsDaily :

See, I told you Argo was Crash incarnate. Won the same amount of awards even.

Here's Sasha Stone on "Argo" back in October:

Have you ever seen a movie where you walk out saying, “That was just a great f--king movie”? That’s Ben Affleck’s Argo. Inexplicably, a film that draws its strength from humor and suspense, winds up being more moving the second time through. Perhaps because once you have been through the suspense part of it you get to know the characters better and therefore care about their outcomes more.

02/25/2013 12:42 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Arc

@ LouLumenick :

Affleck: Oscar winner to laughingstock to Oscar winner. You can't make these things up.

02/25/2013 12:31 AM EST

At Least Someone Liked It

@ m1keh0gan :

Tommy Lee Jones told me Seth MacFarlane was "hilarious." His favorite part? "I Saw Your Boobs." #notkidding

02/25/2013 12:28 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Meryl Streep Joke

“It’s a strange thing, because three years ago, before we decided to do a straight swap, I had actually been committed to play Margaret Thatcher, um...” he joked. “And Meryl was, was Steven’s first choice for ‘Lincoln.’ And I’d like to see that version. And Steven didn’t have to persuade me to play Lincoln, but I had to persuade him that, perhaps, if I was going to do it, that Lincoln shouldn’t be a musical.”

More on Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar speech here.

Oscar Nominees 2013