SALT LAKE CITY -- A book about a lesbian couple raising children has returned to a Utah school district's library shelves, amid a lawsuit from the American Civil Liberties Union.
Officials with the ACLU of Utah say they were informed of the district's decision Monday, two months after the suit was filed.
The Davis School District had put the picture book "In Our Mothers' House" behind the library counter and required elementary schoolchildren to have a parent's permission to check it out. District officials cited state law, which prohibits advocacy of homosexuality in its curriculum.
The ACLU argued the library book wasn't instructional material and didn't constitute advocacy of homosexuality.
District spokesman Chris Williams says parents who don't want their child checking out a certain book can still inform the librarian of that preference.
Also on HuffPost:
1. Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins (ATOS book level 5.3)
2. Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck (4.5)
3. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (5.6)
4. Night, Elie Wiesel (4.8)
5. The Last Song, Nicholas Sparks (5.1)
6. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins (5.3)
7. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins (5.3)
8. Animal Farm, George Orwell (7.3)
9. Twilight, Stephenie Meyer (4.9)
10. A Child Called "It", Dave Pelzer (5.8)
11. Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer (4.8)
12. The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan (4.7)
13. The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton (4.7)
14. Dear John, Nicholas Sparks (5.5)
15. Crank, Ellen Hopkins (4.3)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling (6.9)
17. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald (7.3)
18. Lord of the Flies, William Golding (5.0)
19. The Giver, Lois Lowry (5.7)
20. Marked: A House of Night Novel, P.C. Cast (5.4)