A little girl's trip to Subway recently turned into an emergency visit to the hospital after a mother allegedly made a disturbing discovery inside her daughter's sandwich.
Laura Clark, the mother of 3-year-old Aubrey, claims that her daughter suffered cuts to her mouth, cheeks and tongue after swallowing glass from half of a Subway six-inch turkey sandwich in Peterborough, Ontario, the Sun News reports.
The mother said that the doctor discovered several pieces of glass, some as big as half of a pinkie fingernail, in the rest of the uneaten sandwich. The damage to Aubrey’s mouth did not require stitches, but the next morning the three-year-old experienced bleeding and remains at risk of infection if any glass remains in her stomach.
(SCROLL DOWN TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE ALLEGED GLASS)
In a statement emailed to The Huffington Post, Subway wrote:
“Food safety and the health and well-being of our customers is of paramount importance at every SUBWAY® restaurant and we take all such concerns very seriously. We are aware of the customer concern regarding a possible foreign object found in a sandwich. As soon as the restaurant owner learned of the issue, the proper parties were contacted, an investigation was begun, and the customer was contacted.”
This isn't the only problem currently facing Subway. The company, which recently was deemed the most well-perceived brand in the country by a YouGov BrandIndex poll, came under fire this month after a customer discovered his Subway Footlong sub was only 11 inches long. The story only got worse once the company claimed that the name of the Footlong sub is "not intended to be a measurement of length.”
And most unfortunately, Aubrey is not the first toddler to fall victim to an unwelcome surprise found in fast food. A mother of a 4-year-old girl recently discovered a nose ring in her daughter's breakfast burrito from McDonald's.
Speaking of mealbreakers*, a woman claimed she discovered a razor blade in her McDonald's breakfast meal from an Illinois restaurant, and passengers aboard four separate Delta flights from Amsterdam discovered needles in their turkey sandwiches (one passenger was injured).
*Mealbreaker (n.): a nasty, non-edible surprise found in food while it is being eaten; often lawsuit-provoking, sometimes fabricated, always disgusting.
Here is a picture of Laura using tweezers to show a piece of glass found inside the Subway sub:
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more