NEW DELHI -- A Kashmiri man convicted in a 2001 attack on India's Parliament that left 14 people dead was hanged Saturday after a final mercy plea was rejected, a senior Indian Home Ministry official said.

Home Secretary R.K. Singh told reporters that Mohammed Afzal Guru was executed early Saturday morning at New Delhi's Tihar prison.

"It was the law taking its course," Singh said.

Guru was given a Muslim burial in the prison compound, Press Trust of India news agency reported. His family in the India's Jammu-Kashmir state has demanded that his body be handed over, but that seems unlikely given the highly sensitive nature of the execution.

Guru had been on death row since first being convicted in 2002. Subsequent appeals in higher courts were also rejected, and India's Supreme Court set an execution date for October 2006. But his execution was delayed after his wife filed a mercy petition with India's president. That petition, the last step in the judicial process, was turned down earlier this week.

Several rights groups across India and political groups in Indian Kashmir have said that Guru did not get a fair trial.

"Serious questions have been raised about the fairness of Afzal Guru's trial," Shashikumar Velath, Amnesty International India's programs director, said in a statement. "He did not receive legal representation of his choice or a lawyer with adequate experience at the trial stage. These concerns were not addressed."

Protests broke out Saturday in at least four parts of Indian Kashmir, including the northwestern town of Sopore, which was Guru's home. Scores of protesters chanting slogans including "We want freedom" and "Down with India" defied a curfew and clashed with police and paramilitary troops, who opened fire. Four protesters sustained bullet wounds and one of them was in critical condition, a senior police officer said on customary condition of anonymity.

Thousands of police and paramilitary troops fanned out across the state preparing for more protests and violence following the announcement of the execution. A curfew was also imposed in most parts of Indian Kashmir, and cable television channels were cut off in the region.

About 30 Kashmiri students and anti-death penalty activists clashed with Indian police and right-wing Hindu groups in New Delhi. Most of the protesters were detained by the police.

Police in Indian Kashmir on Saturday also detained several leaders of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference, an umbrella organization of separatist political and religious groups, a police officer said on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak to reporters.

The group called for four days mourning in the disputed region and called Guru's hanging "an attack on the collective conscience of the Kashmiri people."

"We appeal to the people to rise in one voice and protest this aggressive act so that it's known to everyone that even if the heads of Kashmiris are cut, they'll never bow under any circumstances," the group said in a statement.

The statement said that Indian Kashmir's chief cleric, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who also heads the separatist alliance, was detained in New Delhi and not allowed to travel to Srinagar, the main city of Indian Kashmir. Another top separatist leader, Syed Ali Geelani, was also detained in the Indian capital, according to news reports.

When Guru's death sentence was handed down by India's Supreme Court it sparked protests in Kashmir, and the state government has warned that his execution could destabilize the volatile Himalayan region.

Anti-India sentiment runs deep in Muslim-majority Kashmir, which is divided between Hindu-dominated India and Muslim-majority Pakistan but is claimed by both nations.

There were a few small protests against the execution in different parts of Pakistan on Saturday, none larger than about 100 people. Jamaat-ud-Dawa, believed to be a front for the anti-India militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, organized a rally of about 100 people in the southern port city of Karachi and another roughly half that size in the capital, Islamabad. About 100 people protested in the main city of Pakistan-held Kashmir, Muzaffarabad. The protesters held banners and chanted slogans condemning India.

Since 1989, an armed uprising in Indian-controlled Kashmir and an ensuing crackdown have killed an estimated 68,000 people, mostly civilians.

The secrecy in which Guru's execution was carried out was similar to the execution in November of Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman of the 2008 Mumbai attacks. Kasab was also buried in the western Indian prison where he was hanged.

On Dec. 13, 2001, five gunmen entered the compound of India's Parliament and opened fire. A gunbattle with security officers ensued and 14 people, including the gunmen, were killed. India blamed the Pakistan-based militant groups Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammed.

The attack led to heightened tensions between India and its neighbor and archrival Pakistan and brought the neighbors to the brink of war, but tensions eased after intense diplomatic pressure from the international community and a promise by then-Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf to clamp down on the militants.

Guru confessed in TV interviews that he helped plot the attack, but later denied any involvement and said he was tortured into confessing.

Government prosecutors said that Guru was a member of Jaish-e-Mohammed, a charge Guru denied.

Guru's family said it had not been told that he was about to be executed.

"Indian government has yet again functioned like a fascist state and hanged him secretly," said Yasin Guru, a relative who lives in the family's compound in Sopore. "They did not have the courtesy to inform his family."


Associated Press writers Aijaz Hussain in Srinagar, India, and Adil Jawad in Karachi, Pakistan, contributed to this report.

Also on HuffPost:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Sheik Ahmed Yassin

    In September 2003, the Israeli army <a href="">attempted to kill</a> Sheikh Yassin, one of Hamas' founders and spiritual leader of the group, while he was at the house of a colleague in Gaza. He died in an Israeli airstrike on 22 March 2004. <em>Caption:Sheik Ahmed Yassin, founder of the radical Islamic group Hamas, is seen during an interview at his home in Gaza City in the Gaza Strip Sunday, Oct. 19, 1997. (AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma)</em>

  • Mahmoud al-Mabhouh

    In 2010, Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, a top Hamas operative, was <a href="">killed</a>, electrocuted in a Dubai hotel room. The operation was widely attributed to the Israeli intelligence service. <em>Caption: Palestinians carry a picture of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, one of the founders of Hamas' military wing, as others carry his coffin, left, during his funeral procession at the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk, near Damascus, Syria, Friday, Jan. 29, 2010. (AP Photo/Bassem Tellawi)</em>

  • Muhammad Najar

    An Israeli airstrike killed <a href="">Muhammad Najar</a>, a member of the Islamic Jihad group in Gaza in January 2011. According to Israel's military, Najer was “involved in planning a massive terror attack in the heart of Israel." <em>Caption: A Palestinian militant of the Islamic Jihad stands guard during a rally in Gaza City, Friday, Oct. 29, 2010. (AP Photo/Hatem Moussa)</em>

  • Imad Mughniyeh

    In 2008, Imad Mughniyeh, top commander in the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, was <a href="">killed</a> by a bomb that landed on his car in Damascus, Syria. Hezbollah blamed Israel for the attack. <em>Caption: A Hezbollah supporter holds a poster of slain Hezbollah's top military commander Imad Mughniyeh, left, as other hold a poster of Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, right, during a rally to mark the third anniversary of the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war, at the southern suburb of Beirut, Lebanon, on Friday Aug. 14, 2009. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)</em>

  • Fathi Shikaki

    In 1995, the founder of the Islamic Jihad group Fathi Shikaki was <a href="">murdered</a> by a man on a motorcycle in Malta. The attack was widely attributed to Israel. <em>Caption: Members of the Islamic Jihad shouting "Death to America, Death to Israel," burn American and Israeli flags during a demonstration in remembrance of Fathi Shikaki in Hebron Monday, Nov. 2, 1998. (AP Photo/Nasser Shiyoukhi)</em>

  • Abu Jihad

    Israel admitted in October 2012 it had <a href="">killed</a> Abu Jihad, one of the founders of Fatah, the dominant faction in the Palestinian Liberation Organization, in Tunisia in 1988. <em>Caption: A February 10, 1986 file photo of Khalil al-Wazir, better known as Abu Jihad, the Palestinian Liberation Organization's military chief seen in Amman, Jordan. (AP Photo/John Rice, File)</em>

  • Yehiya Ayyash

    Hamas chief bomb maker Yahya Ayyash was <a href="">killed</a> by a mobile phone packed with explosives, allegedly by Israel, in January 1996 in Gaza. <em>Caption: Thousands of Palestinians gather in the West Bank town of Nablus Thursday Jan 11 1996 for a rally called by the Muslim extremist group Hamas in memory of Yehiya Ayyash who was killed in the Gaza Strip last week. (AP PHOTO/Khaled Zighari)</em>

  • Salah Shehadeh

    Salah Shehadeh, leader of Hamas' military wing <a href="">died</a> after Israel dropped a bomb on his Gaza house in July 2002. <em>Caption: Sheik Salah Shehadeh, left, founder of the military wing of Hamas, is welcomed upon his release from an Israeli jail in Gaza City, May 14, 2000. (AP Photo/Adel Hana)</em>

  • Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi

    Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi, co-founder and leader of Hamas, was <a href="">killed</a> in an Israeli missile strike in April 2004 in Gaza. <em>Caption: Hamas militant group leader, Abdel Aziz Al Rantissi, attends a demonstration to support Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat inside the Palestinian parliament compound in Gaza City Friday, March 29, 2002. (AP Photo/Marco Di Lauro)</em>

  • Said Siyam

    In January 2009 Said Siyam, senior Hamas commander <a href="">died</a> in an Israel air strike. <em>Caption: Palestinian Authority Interior Minister Said Siyam, from the Islamic group Hamas, talks during a news conference at his office in Gaza City, Wednesday, May 17, 2006. (AP Photo/Adel Hana)</em>

  • Basel Abu Alata

    In October 2011, an Israeli aircraft <a href="">killed</a> five Islamic Jihad members, one of which was Basel Abu Alata. <em>Caption: Palestinians carry the body of Islamic Jihad militant Basel Abu Alata, at the morgue of Al Najar hospital following an Israeli air strike on an Islamic Jihad training base in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip, Saturday, Oct. 29, 2011. (AP Photo/Eyad Baba) </em>

  • Nizar Rayan

    In 2009, Israeli jets fired missiles on Nizar Rayan's house, <a href="">killing</a> him, his four wives, ten of his children and two neighbours. Rayan was a top Hamas leader who served as a liaison between the Palestinian organization's political leadership and its military wing. <em>Caption :In this Aug. 5, 2005 file photo Hamas leader Nizar Rayan marches during a protest in the Jebaliya refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip. (AP Photo/Karel Prinsloo, File)</em>

  • Said Siam

    In January 2009, Israeli jets bombed a house in the Jabaliya refugee camp, <a href="">killing</a> Said Siam. Hamas interior minister. <em>Caption: ** FILE ** In this Jan. 30, 2008 file photo, top Hamas official Said Siam is seen at the Palestinian terminal of the Egyptian-Gaza border in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip, waiting to cross into Egypt. An Israeli airstrike killed Siam in Gaza City on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009, flattening the building where he was staying. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis, File)</em>

  • Abdel Aziz Rantissi

    Abdel Aziz Rantissi, leader of the militant Islamist group Hamas, was <a href="">assassinated</a> by the Israeli military. At the time of his death, he had held that post for just 25 days. <em>Caption: Hamas leader Dr. Abdel Aziz Rantissi, is interviewed by an Associated Press reporter at his home in Gaza City, Wednesday, July 23, 2003. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)</em>