Huffpost New York

Space Heater Fire Kills 8-Year-Old Boy In Flatbush, Brooklyn; Firefighter And Another Victim Injured

Posted: Updated:
SPACE HEATER DEATH
AP
Print

NEW YORK -- Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.

The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building in the city's Flatbush neighborhood.

Henry Barnes lives across the street. He tells The New York Times he was awakened by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.

He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."

The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.

Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.

Around the Web

Boy, 8, killed in NYC fire started by space heater

Boy, 8, killed in NYC fire started by space heater

Flatbush house fire kills 8-year-old boy during winter storm

Brooklyn super used hoses to bypass gas grid; almost blew up condos