KABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO airstrike struck two houses, killing 10 Afghan civilians and four insurgents near the Pakistani border, officials said Wednesday. President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack, the latest in a series of civilian casualty reports that have raised tensions between the Afghans and the U.S.-led foreign forces.
The attack occurred about 10 p.m. Tuesday during a joint NATO-Afghan operation in the Shigal district of Kunar province, a lawmaker from the area said. The U.S.-led military alliance in Kabul said only that it was looking into the reports.
Wagma Sapay, a member of parliament from Kunar, said the civilians killed were in one house while four senior Taliban leaders were slain as they were gathering next door in the Chawkam area.
Karzai's office said 10 civilians, including women and children were killed, and four were wounded. It said a delegation was sent to the site to investigate.
The statement said Karzai "strongly condemns" the airstrike and "emphasizes that the fight against terrorism is not in the house and villages of Afghan people."
Provincial police chief Ewaz Mohammad Naziri said those killed included five boys, four women and one man.
The governor of Kunar, Sayed Fazelullah Wahidi, said the local government had not been informed about plans for the strike.
"This operation was by coalition and Afghan forces," he said. "We were not aware of it."
The killing of civilians at the hands of U.S. and other foreign forces has been one of the most contentious issues in the 11-year war.
Jamie Graybeal, a spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force, said the alliance was aware of the allegations of civilian casualties in Kunar but could not confirm any details.
"We take these allegations very seriously and we are in the process of determining the circumstances surrounding this incident," he said.
The reported attack came as President Barack Obama announced in his State of the Union speech that he will bring home within a year about half of the 66,000 U.S. troops now in Afghanistan in a step toward withdrawing all foreign combat forces by the end of 2014.
The U.N. body monitoring the rights of children said last week that attacks by U.S. military forces in Afghanistan, including airstrikes, have reportedly killed hundreds of children over the last four years.
The Geneva-based Committee on the Rights of the Child said the casualties were "due notably to reported lack of precautionary measures and indiscriminate use of force."
ISAF, which is composed mainly of American forces, dismissed that claim, saying that it takes special care to avoid civilian casualties.
Also on HuffPost:
Gen. David McKiernan (June 2008 - June 2009)
Defense Secretary Robert Gates asked for McKiernan's resignation a year before his term as commander was set to end. The firing was seen as a rejection by newly elected President Barack Obama of McKiernan's conventional warfare approach in favor of the more targeted "counterinsurgency" strategy of working to undermine insurgents' pull on the population. <em>Caption: U.S. Army General David McKiernan, Commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan, speaks after the arrival of U.S. Secretary of State Robert Gates May 6, 2009 in Kabul, Afghanistan. Gates is in Afghanistan ahead of the increase in U.S. troop presence in the country. (Photo by Jason Reed-Pool/Getty Images)</em>
Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal (June 2009 - June 2010)
McChrystal, who had a background in special operations, came in with a mandate to remake the war effort with the help of "surge" troops ordered by Obama. A year into that push, an article in Rolling Stone magazine quoted members of McChrystal's team making disparaging comments about their commander in chief and other senior administration officials. Obama called McChrystal back to Washington to explain and forced him to resign. <em>Caption: This July 23, 2010 file photo shows Gen. Stanley McChrystal reviewing troops for the last time as he is honored at a retirement ceremony at Fort McNair in Washington. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, file)</em>
Gen. David Petraeus (July 2010 - July 2011)
Petraeus took over the Afghan command to fill the void left by McChrystal's abrupt departure and agreed to serve for one year. He completed that term and then retired from the military to become CIA director in September 2011. Petraeus resigned as CIA director on Nov. 9 after he had an extramarital affair with his biographer. The affair came out as part of an FBI investigation into suspicious emails between the biographer and another woman. <em>Caption: In this June 23, 2011 file photo, then-CIA Director-desigate Gen. David Petraeus testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen, File)</em>
Gen. John Allen (July 2011- Present)
Allen was appointed by Obama to oversee the drawdown of U.S. and international forces ahead of the planned transfer of security responsibility to the Afghan government in 2014. Pentagon officials said early Tuesday that Allen is under investigation for thousands of alleged "inappropriate communications" with the second woman involved in the Petraeus case, a Florida socialite. Allen's nomination to become the next commander of U.S. European Command and the commander of NATO forces in Europe has now been put on hold. <em>Caption: In this March 26, 2012, file photo, Marine Gen. John Allen, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan listens during a news conference at the Pentagon in Washington. (AP Photo/Haraz N. Ghanbari, File)</em>