Is Carrie Fisher returning to play Princess Leia in "Star Wars: Episode VII"?
Which doesn't mean she actually is returning. Fisher said almost the exact same thing about signing on for "Star Wars: Episode VII" at a book signing in New Jersey on Nov. 15, 2012, just two weeks after plans for the new film were announced.
"I thought it was already common knowledge," she said.
At the time, Fisher's representatives said the actress's statements were merely "tongue-in-cheek" and that nothing was confirmed. Speaking with Palm Beach Illustrated, Fisher continued to her streak of sarcasm:
What do you think Princess Leia is like today?
Elderly. She’s in an intergalactic old folks’ home [laughs]. I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle.
And still wearing the bagel buns?
The bagel buns and the bikini, because probably she has sundowners syndrome. At sundown, she thinks that she’s 20-something. And she puts it on and gets institutionalized.
HuffPost Entertainment reached out to Fisher's representatives to see if this latest confirmation was also made in jest.
UPDATE, 3/7: Fisher reps told CNN that the actress was "joking" and that "nothing has been announced."
The original story continues below.
That Fisher would return, of course, is far from surprising. It was rumored previously that Harrison Ford was coming back to play Han Solo in the new film. Mark Hamill, meanwhile, confirmed in February that Disney and Lucasfilm were talking to the original stars about returning for "Episode VII."
"George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be interested," Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original film, said to ETOnline.com. "He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another actor in our parts -– they would write us out. I can tell you right away that we haven't signed any contracts."
For more on Fisher, head over to the Palm Beach Illustrated's website.
[via Palm Beach Illustrated]