Several City Councilmen are saying since the Taste of Chicago hasn't been well-done for years, it should just be done — period.
One alderman who already think the Taste's goose is cooked is Ald. Bob Fioretti (2nd), who proposed Wednesday to hold a hearing that would determine if the Taste should be saved or scrapped, reports NBC Chicago.
"Two years ago, I said 'Taste of Chicago is on its last legs.' It's time to look at reconfiguring it," Fioretti said according to the Tribune. "Either we're going to eliminate it — then, we should have — or we're going to move it forward."
(What's your take? Vote below.)
The struggling festival lost a whopping $1.3 million dollars last year and hasn't been profitable since 2008, according to CBS Chicago.
While Chicago magazine staffers listed shortcomings like drunk crowds as reasons why they won't be sad if the Taste is killed off, a shortened festival and switch from the traditional Fourth of July weekend spot seems to have killed the buzz for many fest-goers in recent years.
Fioretti's frustration with the floundering summer attraction was apparently shared by four other members of the City Council. DNAinfo Chicago reports colleagues Leslie Hairston (5th), Scott Waguespack (32nd) and John Arena (45th) from the newly-formed Progressive Reform Coalition signed off on the resolution; Ald. Ray Suarez (31st) signed as well.
Mayor Emanuel, on the other hand, isn't ready to quit the fest just yet, according to CBS.
Emanuel argued his administration's changes to the fest have helped — however slowly — turn things around, citing decisions like booking the Grammy-winning band fun. as the 2013 opener and implementing a pop-up restaurant concept last year as promising innovations.