Over half of Guantanamo's 166 detainees are officially recognized as hunger strikers, a military spokesman on the remote Navy base said Tuesday.
Lt. Col. Sam House said that 84 Guantanamo detainees were on a hunger strike, the same number as were recognized on Monday. Seventeen of the detainees were being force-fed and four of that group were in the hospital. The numbers have grown since a raid on Guantanamo's Camp Six earlier this month.
The military's Muslim advisor told a small group of reporters in Guantanamo last week that more than one detainee would die before the hunger strike ended.