The Detroit Jazz Festival organizers announced the lineup for the annual weekend on the waterfront, and it's a doozy.
From Aug. 30 to Sept. 2, jazz greats and their fans will descend on Hart Plaza and Campus Martius in downtown Detroit for the 34th year of the free festival. It's a chance to hear music from acts like Danilo Pérez, a Grammy-winning pianist. The Panamanian composer and musician is the festival's artist-in-residence this year.
Other headliners include the Brubeck Brothers, who will perform pieces to honor their late father, legendary pianist Dave Brubeck.
For the more pop-minded, Macy Gray will perform with the David Murray Big Band ensemble. Here they are covering Arcade Fire's "Wake Up":
WSU Professor Chris Collins selected the lineup in his second year as the fest's artistic director, selected the lineup, which pays special attention, the festival website explains, to "the language of jazz and the generations of musicians who have dedicated their lives to propagating its many dialects."
Those dialects include Michigan's, too. The festival accepts submissions from local and regional artists for a chance to perform over Labor Day weekend.
See below for the full list of acts, and head to the Detroit Jazz Festival website for more information.
- Artist-In-Residence Danilo Pérez featuring Panama 500, Panama Suite and other works for large ensemble David Murray Big Band with Macy Gray Ahmad Jamal
- Joshua Redman
- John Scofield Überjam
- Shelia Jordan with Strings featuring the Alan Broadbent Trio
- Bill Frisell -- Lennon Project McCoy Tyner Trio with special guest Savion Glover
- Ravi Coltrane, David Liebman, Joe Lovano Sax Summit
- Gregory Porter
- Charles Lloyd Quartet with Bill Frisell
- Eddie Daniels and Roger Kellaway, with Celo-Duke at the Roadside
- Jon Faddis -- Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Jazz at Massey Hall Tribute to Detroit’s Pepper Adams -- Gary Smulyan, Howard Johnson, Frank Basile Lee Konitz Quartet Freddie Cole The Cookers featuring Billy Harper, Eddie Henderson, George Cables, Cecil McBee, Billy Hart, David Weiss
- Marcus Belgrave -- Trumpet Call Marcus Belgrave National Trumpet Competition Trio Da Paz & Friends Play Jobim & Getz with Harry Allen
- Bill Charlap
- George Bohannon Quintet
- Cecile McLorin Salvant
- Tony Monaco with Fareed Haque
- Tribute to Dave Brubeck featuring: Brubeck Brothers Quartet, Dave Brubeck’s Mass “To Hope -- A Celebration” Choir, Strings and Jazz Quartet, 2013 Detroit Jazz Festival Big Band Commission Project --Featuring the Compositions of David Brubeck and The Real Ambassadors -- a recreation of a Dave and Iola Brubeck’s jazz musical The Detroit Jazz Festival Orchestra
- Quest reunited with Richie Beirach
- Four Freshmen -- Tribute to Stan Kenton
- Terell Stafford Quintet Plays Strayhorn
- Renee Rosnes
- James Carter -- Tribute to Don Byas
- Delfeayo Marsalis -- Such Sweet Thunder
- The Detroit Homecoming Band with Geri Allen Michael Weiss Quintet
- JC Heard National Jazz Arrangers Competition Afro Horns
- Aaron Diehl Trio
- JD Allen Trio
- Celebrating the Music of Teddy Harris and The New Breed Bebop Society
Flickr photo by the Knight Foundation.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more