ENTERTAINMENT
05/20/2013 10:39 am ET Updated May 20, 2013

Jonathan Rhys Meyers In 'Star Wars'? Has 'Episode VII' Found Its First New Cast Member

Has "Star Wars: Episode VII" found its first new cast member? That's the report from Latino Review, which revealed that Jonathan Rhys Meyers is up for an as-yet-undefined role in J.J. Abrams' new "Star Wars" sequel. If signed, it's possible that Meyers would join original trilogy stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in the cast.

Meyers is best known for his role on the Showtime series "The Tudors." He previously worked with Abrams on "Mission: Impossible III," which was the director's debut feature. Meyers has also starred in "The Velvet Goldmine" (with former "Star Wars" star Ewan McGregor) and Woody Allen's "Match Point." Latino Review, it should be noted, has a good track record of breaking news about Abrams' projects. The site was one of the first to reveal the true identity of the "Star Trek Into Darkness" villain, a secret Abrams tried to keep up until the film's release last week.

"Star Wars: Episode VII" is under similar lock and key. For now, Ford, Hamill and Fisher have not confirmed their involvement, but the expectation is that each will appear in "Episode VII" in some capacity. Hamill himself said he had talks with Lucasfilm already about the project.

"I've only had one creative meeting about the new films, but I do remember saying: 'We've got to find a proper balance between CGI and old-school models,'" Hamill said at a "Star Wars" event in early May. "I want to have a more organic look so that we don't get into Roger Rabbit territory. [...] That's just me! Don't get too excited! I don't imagine their top priority is what I want."

Speculate on what role Meyers could play in the comments below. For more on the scoop, hit Latino Review.

[via Latino Review]

PHOTO GALLERIES
Celebrity News & Photos

Subscribe to the Entertainment email.
Home to your favorite fan theories and the best movie recs.

CONVERSATIONS