North Korea Seizes Chinese Fishing Boat: China Asks Pyongyang To Release Ship, Crew

05/20/2013 08:50 am ET | Updated Jul 20, 2013
Getty Images

BEIJING — The owner of a Chinese fishing boat seized for ransom by unidentified North Koreans says the boat and its 16 crew members have been released.

Yu Xuejun wrote on a verified microblog Tuesday that his captain called him at 3:50 a.m. Tuesday to say that the North Koreans had released them. He says most of their diesel fuel had been stolen and that it was too early to tell the condition of the crew members.

Xu says he was unable to pay a ransom, and he thanked the Chinese Foreign Ministry for negotiating on behalf of the boat and crew.

The official Xinhua News Agency also reported that the boat had been released, citing an unnamed Chinese consular officer in North Korea.

Also on HuffPost:

North Korea's Craziest Threats

YOU MAY LIKE